Realmsian Dragonstar: The Battle of Toril PbP Game [OOC] (Game Cancelled)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
File updated with weapons and armor from Hastur Dragonstar wiki and from a Behind the Screen article.

Attachments

• Arcanum of the Stars_ver3.zip
    140.1 KB · Views: 363

Shayuri

First Post
Without giving any spoilers, are those of us who are primitive Toril natives ever gonna get a chance to get some of these cool tech toys? Spellware makes me happy to think about. And Beguilers can wear light armor and use more weapons than normal mages...it'd be nice to take advantage of that. :)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Without giving any spoilers, are those of us who are primitive Toril natives ever gonna get a chance to get some of these cool tech toys? Spellware makes me happy to think about. And Beguilers can wear light armor and use more weapons than normal mages...it'd be nice to take advantage of that. :)
I was thinking about this the other day. Nornally, all a character has to do is spend enough time living in a technological society and then be able to take the Technical Proficiency feat. At this point, even with instruction, your PC takes a -4 circumstance penalty on all ability checks, skill checks, and attack rolls using high-tech devices. And you can't take feats that require the Technical Proficiency, such as the Armor Proficiency (Powered) feat or, say, the Implant Spellware item creation feat. However, Sil would be able to take Dragonstar feats that don't require the Technical Proficiency feat, within reason.

She could take these feats from the SFH: Crack Shot, Etiquette, Improved Far Shot, Information Junkie*, Mobile Shot, Pressing Attack, and Temperature Tolerance. *This feat gives a +2 bonus on Gather Information and Research checks. While the Research skill doesn't require the Technical Proficiency feat, it's tough to use it without access to an advanced library. It could be used in Candlekeep, I guess.

The Dragonstar skills that require the Technical Proficiency feat are as follows: Demolitions (Int; must be trained), Pilot (Dex), Repair (Int; trained only), and Use Device (Int). The other new Dragonstar skills are as follows: Cryptography (Int; must be trained), Freefall (Dex), Navigate (Int), Research (Wis), and Urban Lore (Wis).

From the SFH: "Characters from Outlands worlds (like Toril) may take it for free once they have spent one full level gaining experience with advanced technology. A character could meet this requirement by adventuring in the Empire, training in an Imperial enclave on an Outlands world, or traveling with others who are equipped and experienced with high technology."

So, from the RAW, the PCs from Toril could take it since you all went up by four levels. However, that bulk of that experience wasn't really the result of interacting with high technology. I would say if you invest in Dragonstar feats and learning Dragonstar skills, you can get to it faster. A minimum of two DS feats or 1 feat and at least two levels worth of learning DS skills (as cross-class skills).

And, you could try to learn DS spells too, but let's not get ahead ourselves.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I wil ltry to get a new post up for the main group by the end of Monday. I have to write a post for the Shackled City Legacy game first, however.

Shayuri

First Post
By RAW, Beguilers can't learn spells off of their lists except via the Advanced Learning class features, which has specific limitations. This is fine. I knew what I was signing up for. Their spell list is quite generous...and with Use Magic Device I can get access to staves and scrolls and the like to expand my ability.

And yeah, that one encounter doesn't meet the 'spend time training with high tech' watermark. :)

But ok, that does give me a better idea of what's required. Game time spent. If there's 'downtime' that would work nicely, but it's hard to imagine the opening phases of an invasion having a lot of downtime.

This is fine too. It does handicap the natives a bit, given the quantifiably higher power level of technology, but again...we knew that going in. :)

How does the Technical Proficiency feat modify things like armor and weapons proficiency? Or does it at all?

For example, Beguilers start with weapon proficiencies identical to rogues. Presumably Dragonstar rogues get some firearms training too, but does gaining that feat automatically offer me such training? Or would I need some kind of Weapon or Armor Proficiency feat in addition to that?

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
[MENTION=1095]Salthorae[/MENTION], what did I give you for the non-damage stats for the ancient sunsword? (I cannot remember.)

I found that the damage is 4d6 for the Medium-sized sunsword Shaz found but did i give it a specific critical value or a weight. If not, the Crit. range is 18-20/x2 and the weight is 1-1/2 lb. The ancient sunsword would not have a real market price in the Dragon Empire, but if it was being auctioned off by a Core World trading house, it would likely start at an opening bid of 5,000 credits. :)

I don't think I saw that before, so I will update the stats. Somehow my level up updates don't show, even though I'm almost positive I saved them...so I will add the threat range and energy type update when I re-edit :(

One question on the zip file, it shows that half-dragons of the "weaker" bloodlines get bonus feats. I didn't do that on creation, should up add those from the list you have?

I don't remember that file being posted before, or I probably would have downloaded it to my Dragonstar folder in Dropbox!

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I don't think I saw that before, so I will update the stats. Somehow my level up updates don't show, even though I'm almost positive I saved them...so I will add the threat range and energy type update when I re-edit :(
Okay, I wasn't sure. You're probably right.

One question on the zip file, it shows that half-dragons of the "weaker" bloodlines get bonus feats. I didn't do that on creation, should up add those from the list you have?
If that is what it says, then do it.

I don't remember that file being posted before, or I probably would have downloaded it to my Dragonstar folder in Dropbox!
I think I might have posted it in the Arcanum of the Stars campaign group, but I didn't really point it out to ever one.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Here's the group: http://www.enworld.org/forum/group.php?groupid=59 (EDIT: Link added to first post in this thread too.)

And it original version is in the files section. I'll leave it there as a legacy version in case any one wants to compare it with the newly revised version(s). Once I'm satisfied that I'm done updating the file, I add the revised version to the files section in the group.

Last edited:

Remove ads