• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rearranging some of the Soul Eater's abilities (BoVD)

JiCi

First Post
Most of the content from the Book of Vile Darkness didn't receive a 3.5 update, and the Soul Eater PrC really caught my attention until I noticed that it's lacking some potential. So I've decided to rearrange some of the PrC's abilities to suit it better. Tell me what do you think.

Energy Drain (Su): A soul eater gains the ability to drain energy, bestowing negative levels upon its victims. Beginning at 1st level, the touch of a soul eater bestows one negative level on its target. At 7th level, the soul eater bestows two negative levels with a touch. For each negative level bestowed, the soul eater gains 1 temporary hit point per 2 soul eater levels that last for up to 1 hour. Those levels can be removed with a Fortitude save (DC 10 + soul eater's class level + soul eater's Cha bonus).
*Most of the energy-draining creatures gain temporary hit points in 3.5, so why not the soul eater?*

Soul Strength (Su): When a 2nd-level soul eater uses its eenergy drain ability, it gains a +2 enhancement bonus to an ability of its choice for 1 hour per soul per soul eater level. At 5th-level, it gains a +4 enhancement bonus to two abilities, and at 8th-level, it gains a +6 enhancement bonus to three abilities. The soul eater cannot benefit from more than one enhancement at a time; once the abiliy or abilities are chosen, the soul eater cannot gain another enhancement from Soul Strength for the duration, but it can dismiss the enhancment as a free action before the duration expires.
*I thought it was a waste of space to have one ability to each physical ability, and nore for the mental ones.*

Soul Blast (Su): When a 3rd-level soul eater uses its energy drain ability, it gains a pool of soul points for each level bestowed. The pool can contain up to 2 soul points for soul eater level. The soul eater may expend these soul points to create destructive blasts of energy, either as a melee touch attack or a 60-foot ray, requiring a ranged touch attack. Both attacks deal 1d6 points of damage per soul point expend, but the soul eater cannot expend more points than its soul eater levels. Both attacks can be used once per round as a standard action.

At 6th-level, the soul eater can use its soul blast as a 60-foot line or 30-foot cone. A Reflex save halves the damage (DC 10 + soul eater's class level + soul eater's Cha bonus).

At 9th-level, the soul eater can use its soul blast as a 60-foot radius blast, whether centered on himself or at a range of 10 feet per soul eater level.

*It's supposed to be the soul eater's signature move, and it's a daily ability... WTF?*

NEW ABILITIES
Soul Healing (Su): At 5th-level, the soul eater can expend soul points from its pool to heal its wounds. Each point expended heals 2 points of damage or 4 points of non-lethal damage. The soul eater can also expend one point to remove fatigeu and 2 points to remove exhaustion.

Soul Cleasing (Su): At 8th-level, the soul eater can expend soul points to recover from poison, disease and curse. It can expend 3 points to cure poison, 6 points to cure diseases and 9 points to remove curses.

Remove ads