D&D General Reassesing Robert E Howards influence on D&D +

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I don't think Gygax was trying to do Tolkien style world building at all. I do think others who followed and put out stuff for D&D were leaning heavily into Tolkien but a lot of Gygaxian D&D to me really fits those Conan stories. One key difference is Gygax seems to be aiming more for a medieval vibe than Conan (and Conan was more pre-historical Ancient World kitchen sink).
It's not Lord of the Rings or Conan.

OD&D is Lankhmar. It is shocking the first time you read the early Lankhmar books -- they could be official TSR D&D novels.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
It's not Lord of the Rings or Conan.

OD&D is Lankhmar. It is shocking the first time you read the early Lankhmar books -- they could be official TSR D&D novels.
I think I've read one, but from the plot synopsis and the descriptions and such I've read online, they do sound very dnd-like.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
More than just the plot. The setting, the characters, the motivations, even some of the dialogue sound ripped from early D&D. Of course, the answer is it's the other way around.
Sounds like it was a heavy influence on early dnd. I've been meaning to read them, maybe I should try to find them.

True (I mean the name is a giveaway). But Discworld was also influenced by Howard, to bring the thread round to it's original topic. Cohen the Barbarian also first appears in TCoM.
I think technically Cohen doesn't appear until The Light Fantastic. The original novel has Hrun the Barbarian, who is an even more obvious pastiche of Conan.

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads