• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Reassesing Robert E Howards influence on D&D +

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I don't think Gygax was trying to do Tolkien style world building at all. I do think others who followed and put out stuff for D&D were leaning heavily into Tolkien but a lot of Gygaxian D&D to me really fits those Conan stories. One key difference is Gygax seems to be aiming more for a medieval vibe than Conan (and Conan was more pre-historical Ancient World kitchen sink).
It's not Lord of the Rings or Conan.

OD&D is Lankhmar. It is shocking the first time you read the early Lankhmar books -- they could be official TSR D&D novels.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
It's not Lord of the Rings or Conan.

OD&D is Lankhmar. It is shocking the first time you read the early Lankhmar books -- they could be official TSR D&D novels.
I think I've read one, but from the plot synopsis and the descriptions and such I've read online, they do sound very dnd-like.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
More than just the plot. The setting, the characters, the motivations, even some of the dialogue sound ripped from early D&D. Of course, the answer is it's the other way around.
Sounds like it was a heavy influence on early dnd. I've been meaning to read them, maybe I should try to find them.

True (I mean the name is a giveaway). But Discworld was also influenced by Howard, to bring the thread round to it's original topic. Cohen the Barbarian also first appears in TCoM.
I think technically Cohen doesn't appear until The Light Fantastic. The original novel has Hrun the Barbarian, who is an even more obvious pastiche of Conan.

Remove ads