Recharging Magic Items

Erekose13

Explorer
So if I understand you correctly if you wanted to recharge that wand of cure light it'd cost you 75gp + 7.5gp per charge. That sounds like a good balance. I do like IcyCool's methods of trying to prevent charging only 1 or 2 charges at a time, but this sounds a bit more balanced.

Mathmatically speaking the cost/scroll vs. cost/charge will be equal at 15 charges/scrolls. So when the number of charges being recharged is less than 15 it is more cost effective to make that many scrolls, when the number is greater than 15 it costs less to recharge the wand. At 15 that sounds perfectly balanced to me.

Rather than try to make sure this is balanced across all types of items, I am tempted to specify only wands and staves.

doghead

thotd
Also, might as well cap the price at full wand price (which occurs at 5 charges or lower)

If understand this correctly, why bother? If someone wants to spend more recharging an old wand than buying a new one, why not let them? Perhaps the wand has sentimental value. Or perhaps there are no new wands available?

Just a thought.

thotd

Rystil Arden

First Post
doghead said:
If understand this correctly, why bother? If someone wants to spend more recharging an old wand than buying a new one, why not let them? Perhaps the wand has sentimental value. Or perhaps there are no new wands available?

Just a thought.

thotd
Well they have to have the craft feat, so they could always make a new wand if they had the cash.

Patlin

Explorer
Erekose13 said:
So if I understand you correctly if you wanted to recharge that wand of cure light it'd cost you 75gp + 7.5gp per charge. That sounds like a good balance. I do like IcyCool's methods of trying to prevent charging only 1 or 2 charges at a time, but this sounds a bit more balanced.

Mathmatically speaking the cost/scroll vs. cost/charge will be equal at 15 charges/scrolls. So when the number of charges being recharged is less than 15 it is more cost effective to make that many scrolls, when the number is greater than 15 it costs less to recharge the wand. At 15 that sounds perfectly balanced to me.

Rather than try to make sure this is balanced across all types of items, I am tempted to specify only wands and staves.

I was all set to vote no until I got to this point in the thread. That really sounds pretty balanced to me, though, I'm forced to admit.

I vote yes on recharging charged magic items as explained in the post I'm quoting. I'm OK with going beyond Staffs and Wands where appropriate, such as with a Ring of the Ram.

On the spell, I vote no. It seems to me to be vastly complicated in application, and in my experience some level of simplicity needs to be maintained to make the game fun.

Erekose13

Explorer
Was it a 10% on the Base Cost or the Creation Cost? I wrote it up at Base Cost (75/750 for a CLW).

Were it Creation Cost. Wands would become more economic than scrolls at 8 charges. And only the last charging 46+ charges would be silly.

With Base Cost, charging 41+ charges it is easier to build your own, but balances out with scrolls at the 15 charge mark.

Remove ads