• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recommend a less-known scifi movie/series

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Well as some here might guess I'm a bit of scifi-freak. And it seems I'm not the only one here :D . Anyways, I'm trying to enhance my collection and would like to get some DVD's of some of less-known scifi movies and series. Those that never hit or totally flopped. I mean like Earth-2 or Postman, both of which I loved tremendously (Yeah I'm a freak :lol: ). So if the collective mind of EN World would help me and recommend some of those forgotten scifi-titles I'd be very gratefull :cool: .

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Neverwhere came out on DVD finally; it was a British mini series.

Equilibrium is a pretty darn good movie, and is probably the epitome of 'Gun Fu'.

Miracles was an 13-episode cancelled series; only 6 episodes if that were ever aired. It's on DVD and contains at least two of my favorite episodes of a TV series (The Friendly Skies and Hand of God).

Jack of All Trades, ALA 'Bruce Cambell's other tv series' is a campy peice set in 1801; it's basically a vehicle for Bruce's one-liners and banter ("Are you a mad scientist?" "No, just slightly preturbed.") but it's watchable just for that.

Gab

First Post
I recommend Charlie Jade. However, it's only available on DVD in Japan, and very expensive. The Japanase DVD has English subtitles.

Hmm... Amazon.co.uk says vol 1 of the series will be available on December 26th.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The best thing I can think of is not available on DVD: the first season of the Witchblade series.

farmboymdp

First Post
While it is not "sci-fi" in the classic sense, Brazil by Gilliam is a great movie and features dystopian science fiction, and I would certainly qualify it as "less-known" as most of my movie-buff friends haven't seen it.

coriolis

Explorer
Survivors by Terry Nation. The 3 seasons are now available on DVD, but in the UK only.
The series decribes the 'adventures' of a group of British survivors after a biological accident wipes out most of the Earth's population. It was quite brutal and bleak, with many of the main survivors being killed off throughout the series (including a fire at the end of the first season which kills a handicapped man) leading to a feeling that no one was safe. In that sense, it paved the way for shows like The Day After and Lost, and movies like 28 Days Later.

Oh, and BBC Once just announced last week they would be remaking it!

Particle_Man

Explorer
"Lexx" should be seen at least once. :)

And if you haven't heard of it, there is a great 60's show called "The Prisoner" - very sharp dialogue and thought provoking stuff.

I have a bit of a soft spot for "The Tomorrow People" but I don't know how much of that is nostalgia.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads