• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recommend me a Space Opera RPG

I'm currently looking for a space opera tabletop RPG to run on Roll20. I don't want rule that are more complicated than D&D 5e, and I want one that supports a gamemaster guided narrative. I also don't have much money to buy books just to check them out.

Currently looking at the latest version of Traveller.

GreyLord

Legend
Star Frontiers was pretty easy to understand. Pretty simple overall.

Star Wars d6 was more complicated, not sure if you would consider it more or less complicated than 5e.

Star Wars Saga edition really IS more complicated than 5e, but enough like D&D that you might be able to understand it easier than other unrelated systems. Probably as complicated as Starfinder.

The original Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader (this is NOT the FFG game, this is from a MUCH earlier period, it is the first WArhammer 40K book that came out, had army rules and such, but also a RPG option in it) had an RPG option that was actually pretty simple overall. It had vague rules all over the place though, and left much to the GM to make up or create on the fly. Also, good luck at finding a copy today.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I'm currently looking for a space opera tabletop RPG to run on Roll20. I don't want rule that are more complicated than D&D 5e, and I want one that supports a gamemaster guided narrative. I also don't have much money to buy books just to check them out.

Currently looking at the latest version of Traveller.

I would actually recommend either Mongoose Traveller 2e or Cepheus Engine rather than Traveller 5e, which is a colossal encyclopedia of almost unplayable ideas, IMO (i.e. it's fine for lifting ideas from, but a mess of a game).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Have you considered running a space opera game using a toolbox RPG system with campaign limits on “kewl powerz“?

Also, what about Cypher System (including all its subvariants)? Haven’t played it, but reading the books, it seems like things don’t go gonzo very easily.

Have you considered running a space opera game using a toolbox RPG system with campaign limits on “kewl powerz“?

Also, what about Cypher System (including all its subvariants)? Haven’t played it, but reading the books, it seems like things don’t go gonzo very easily.
I would be up for it, although I'm not really into world building, so I would rather have one that comes with a setting.

I'm not up to speed with Cypher System and RPG toolboxes generally, which is why I'm asking questions.

Remove ads