• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recommend me a Space Opera RPG

Mezuka

Hero
Coriolis, if you like d6 dice pool and a bit on horror in space. Players start with a spaceship.

The Expanse AGE, if you have seen the TV series that is what you get. 3d6+bonuses. But you are limited to the Solar system if you don't buy the Beyond The Gate book. Players also start with a ship.

Traveller 2022, we didn't like that one. It's a old system and it shows. Can easily become a game of papers & pay checks.

Savage Worlds + The Last Parsec setting.

Eclipse Phase 2e, d100.

Ashen Stars, Gumshoe system, if you like mystery investigations.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I use Traveller Mongoose 2E currently. Seems to be exactly what you are looking for. I also use the Cephus Engine (Similar Traveller spin off) module in Foundry to run the game. Though, I think Roll20 can do it fine too (I just never ran it there).

Joining the chorus here re: Mongoose Traveller, especially since you're looking for an "ordinary people" campaign. It's a great, straightforward system, especially if you plan to use a homebrew setting. The skills aren't really setting-specific at all, and most of the equipment and ships are generic enough to work as stats for whatever else you want to do.

Also you don't need a ton of books, particularly if you aren't doing a deep-dive into the Traveller setting. And if you're curious at all, the $1 PDF has more than enough to either sell or repel you on the system.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I think I still have my original Traveller books somewhere, so Mongoose Traveller seems like good option to go with.

Yes, one of the many excellent things about Mongoose Traveller is that it's almost completely compatible with original Traveller stuff.
Yeap, the Mongoose editions give a modern look to the system, but don't fundamentally change it. Pretty easy to grok, likely even easier than 5E, but enough mechanics to make it an interesting system.

Default mode is sort of like Firefly, in which Travellers just fly around looking to pay their bills. Though, I think if you introduce an overarching plot, it does space opera wonderfully.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads