Recommend Me Audiobook Fantasy

Reynard

Legend
I feel the need for a big fat fantasy on Audible. Recommend me something!

Difficulty: no Sanderson, Gentleman Bastards, Abercrombie, or Cook. Also, 20+ hours.

Malazan Book of the Fallen. Steen Erikson. It's 8 giant books. Gardens of the Moon, the first book, and shortest, is 26 hours according to Audible.

I've read the first 5 or 6 Rivers of London books, mentioned below. They are good fun.

Audiobook was the only way I ever finished The Wheel of Time.

Last edited:

Dioltach

Legend
Rivers of London, by Ben Aaronovich. Police procedurals involving the magic division of the Metropolitan Police. The main character is a huge nerd. Kobna Holdbrook-Smith does an excellent of bringing them to life in the audiobooks. They're not 20+ hours, but there's quite a lot of them so far.

Andrew Wincott did an excellent job with Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams.

I've also enjoyed the audiobook versions of Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire and Red Queen's War.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Rivers of London, by Ben Aaronovich. Police procedurals involving the magic division of the Metropolitan Police. The main character is a huge nerd. Kobna Holdbrook-Smith does an excellent of bringing them to life in the audiobooks. They're not 20+ hours, but there's quite a lot of them so far.
I listen to each of these on audiobook. I believe they tend to be around nine hours each.

Dioltach

Legend
I feel the need for a big fat fantasy on Audible. Recommend me something!

Difficulty: no Sanderson, Gentleman Bastards, Abercrombie, or Cook. Also, 20+ hours.
Not fantasy, but fantasy-adjacent, and on top of that an excellent book: King Hereafter, by Dorothy Dunnett. The version I have is narrated by David Rintoul.

It's the story of Macbeth set in the historical context. 40 hours, so it should keep you going for a while.

TheSword

Legend
The Wheel of Time is brilliant on audiobook. Heartily recommend it. Probably my favourite audio book of all time, and I listen to a lot.

It’s more space fantasy but the Eisenhorn/Ravenor by Dan Abnett series is frankly amazing. Amazing characters and a really engaging setting. Inquisitors and heretics. Lots of material for a fantasy campaign if you wanted to move it across.

It’s not fantasy but a very good medieval historical fiction is the Wolf Hall trilogy - absolutely brilliant trilogy. Really easy to listen to and historically robust. All about the rise of Thomas Cromwell and Henry VIII’s court.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Elizabeth Moon's Deed of Paksennarrion trilogy is available on audiobook. They're not big fat fantasies like WoT or Name of the Wind, but the three books clock in at 15:48, 18:14, and 17:29 from what I'm seeing on Audible. So that gets you about 51.5 hours in one big satisfying story with good pacing.

Remove ads