• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recommend me books like SoIaF

Asmo

First Post
I enjoyed The Coldfire trilogy ( Black Sun Rising, When True Night Falls and Crown of Shadows ) by C.S Friedman enormously: very dark, low magic and fantastic charachters.
Damien Vryce, the Warrior priest is one of the best portayed charachters I´ve ever meet in a fantasy/sf book.

Asmo

Fast Learner

First Post
ShrinkyLink said:
But avoid the sequel to this series. Even Zelazny didn't like it.
Alas, to feel the need to defend the second series yet again here.

Where do you get that Zelazny didn't like the second series. I spent about an hour talking to him about all 10 Amber books and he had nothing negative to say, other than he got tired of writing the second series, because he had other things he wanted to work on. He indicated that he liked the results, however, and they were spaced apart as far as they were so he could ensure they turned out well.

Do you have an interview or something, or is this something he told you?

Elf Witch

First Post
I am going to suggest The Deryni series by Katherine Kurtz. It is low magic with great characters.

The settingt has a very medieval historical feel. You have the divine rights of kings to rule, a strong sometimes corrupt church and characters who sometimes sacrifice all for king and country.

Now there are a lot of books to the series but you don't have to read them all. There are two timelines one after the deryni have lost power and human kings rule and the timeline when the deryni are still inpower but about to lose it.

Go to the web site to get a list of books.

http://www.deryni.net/

Zaukrie

New Publisher
The Coldfire Trilogy is very good. I'd add that to my earlier recommendation.

The first 2 books in the Sheepfarmer's daughter trilogy have little magic. The third book begins to have magic.

sunbeam60

First Post
Oh my, this is turning into a vertiable who's who of gritty, low magic fantasy.

Received The Darkness That Comes before, Gates of Fire and book one of the Farseer trilogy and will let you know what I think. Started The Darkness That Comes Before, and indeed, there's a lot of names, places and general stuff that makes no sense, but I'm sticking to it to see what comes out at the end.

Bjorn

Pants

First Post
sunbeam60 said:
Started The Darkness That Comes Before, and indeed, there's a lot of names, places and general stuff that makes no sense, but I'm sticking to it to see what comes out at the end.

Bjorn
Yeah, it can be difficult figuring out what is what and who is who, but I think it was well worth the effort.

Hope you like it. :)

Dakkareth

First Post
I just read The Darkness that Comes Before and I came to the conclusion that Bakker's work is what Martin's could have been, if he wasn't writing about obnoxious little brats and had to work out his sexual frustration through his books.

And yes, I want Kellhus to be utterly blindsided by someone. :)

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
sunbeam60 said:
Oh my, this is turning into a vertiable who's who of gritty, low magic fantasy.

Received The Darkness That Comes before, Gates of Fire and book one of the Farseer trilogy and will let you know what I think. Started The Darkness That Comes Before, and indeed, there's a lot of names, places and general stuff that makes no sense, but I'm sticking to it to see what comes out at the end.

Bjorn

I just started it to. It is a little confusing but at least its interesting so its pretty easy for me to continue reading it. So far really enjoying it.

So far the recomendations here have 50/50 for me.

Dr. Talos

First Post
The Fencer Trilogy by K.J. Parker has a lot of the feel of Martin's works as well. The first book is The Colours of the Steel (No colours is not spelled wrong, it's a British author)

Remove ads