• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recommend me some games for the Xbox 360...

Simplicity

Explorer
If you like FPSes and RPGs, then Mass Effect is good and Fallout 3 is better. And they combine both genres.

Fable 2 is quite good.
My wife is enjoying Prince of Persia... It looks pretty cool to me.
Bioshock and Dead Rising are also games I'll give another vote for.

Don't forget about the arcade:
Castle Crashers can be pretty fun and it's co-op. But it's a beat-em-up.
Geometry Wars 2. So much fun.
Puzzle Quest.

Nebulous

Legend
Best Xbox 360 games i've played:

Dead Space - Scary as all hell, it's like the movie Alien, Event Horizon and The Thing all rolled into one. Instant classic.

Fallout 3
- Game of the Year! You can literally spend 100+ hours playing this game and still see new stuff. it's an amazing rpg/shooter. I'm already waiting eagerly for Fallout 4.

The Orange Box - Even if you played the hell out of HL2, there's no reason in the world not to get this and play it again. Plus all the new chapters, this is probably the best deal in gaming history.

babomb

First Post
Left 4 Dead - First-person shooter with zombies! It's 4-player co-op or 4 v 4. For best results play with people you actually know. (I've only played the PC version, because I prefer mouse + keyboard for FPS games.)

Tales of Vesperia - JRPG, pretty fun.

Civilization Revolution - Turn-based strategy. I don't know if it's up your alley, but if you've liked any of the PC Civ games, you'll like it. It plays quite a bit faster and takes out some of the micromanagement, but it's the same basic experience.

Downloadable games:
Geometry Wars 1/2
Pac-Man Championship Edition
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Catan
Carcassonne
Mega Man 9

John Crichton

First Post
Thanks. I installed Halo to the hard drive last night
You're welcome! I actually find myself playing the 360 more these days now that the gawd-awful noise is significantly reduced.

and then promptly got sucked into playing Rez HD --why won't Sega release that on the PSN!!!???!!
Doh! Been there, done that. Live Arcade has cost me many a night of gaming that I should have been playing the disc I popped in. :p

One more quick question. I have a set of original Xbox component cables. Can I use those with the 360? Right now I'm using the HDMI cable my friend lent me, and low and behold, I can't connect the 360 to my stereo via toslink, because the toslink port isn't on the 360 itself, it's on the component cables...
I don't think the original Xbox component cables will work but you can always try it. For a while I used the 360 component cables (audio only) and HDMI (video only). The component cables were only used for the toslink connection, like you mentioned.

As an aside, I recently upgraded my receiver to one that has 3 HMDI inputs to take advantage of lossless audio, HD audio and all the newer audio formats (primarily for the PS3 Blu-ray flicks). I highly recommend doing this. Not only does it sound much better but I got rid of so much clutter in my entertainment center. Bye bye toslink cables! Power cord and HDMI only from now on. :D

Arnwyn

First Post
As an aside, I recently upgraded my receiver to one that has 3 HMDI inputs to take advantage of lossless audio, HD audio and all the newer audio formats (primarily for the PS3 Blu-ray flicks). I highly recommend doing this. Not only does it sound much better but I got rid of so much clutter in my entertainment center. Bye bye toslink cables! Power cord and HDMI only from now on. :D
My name is Arnwyn and I endorse this message. :)

Felon

First Post
Everyone I've talked to says Jericho sucks, never found anyone that liked it.
Oh, I thought Jericho was a great game to play over the course of a week. A telekinetic sniper. A pyrokinetic with a minigun strapped to his arm. A katana-wielding assassin that can paralyze foes with her blood. A technopagan that can hack reality. A grizzled Catholic priest that can exercise demons and dual wields desert eagles (each of which can be loaded with normal, shrapnel, or explosive ammo). And you are the disembodied spirit that can leap from one body to the next at will. Everything about this rocks IMO. But it's far too short for anyone who shelled out $60 to feel anything less than disgruntled, especially with no online elements. Heck, it's the game I got 945 out of a 1000 achievement points on.

Other games I've played on Xbox:

John Woo's Stranglehold--This FPS is the video game "sequel" to Hard-Boiled. It made for a fun rainy weekend game. Good graphics, cool "bullet time" abilities, detailed settings. Short, short gameplay, and online tacked-on as an afterthought.

Saints Row I & II--I loved these games better than GTAIV. Tons of things to do wherever you go. Wildly over-the-top sociopathic fun. Not for kiddies. SR2's campaign can played in full co-op.

Army of Two--The whole game is meant to be played in co-op with a buddy. I found it to be way too short to get much gameplay out of, not to mention buggy and full of instant-defeat situations. Not recommended.

Mercenaries 2--Fun open-world action game with lots of undelivered promise. You can actually buy things like tanks and blackhawk choppers and have them delivered to you in the field by choppers. Sounds cool, but since everyone and his brother has an RPG that can blow these up in one or two shots, it quickly becomes a pointless waste. Being able to play through the whole mess with a friend is the only thing that makes it above mediocre.

Crackdown--This si the game that Army of Two and Mercs 2 wished they were. A wonderful Xbox-exclusive title.

GTAIV--I thought this was a big disappointment. Not bad, mind you, but with all the "game of the year", I really didn't see what the big deal was. I finished it within two weeks. Just not much content. The online is lauded heavily, but that's just not my thing.

Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, Fallout 3--All games that I played for a while and then just lost my enthusiam to pick back up once I hit a bog. I really want to get to them one of these days, maybe during the relative vacum between now and the 2009 holidays.

Civilization Revolution--This si to Civ games what 4e is to D&D. Some say it's "dumbed-down", while others say "streamlined". I thought it was fun for a while, but the AI's for the various countries are all too similar and too hostile. You really shouldn't try to encounter them, since diplomacy simply isn't an option. They'll immediately start making unreasonable demands for money and technology and declaring the instant you say "no", with zero regard for considerations of military superiority. And then they keep attacking to the point where their entire civilization has abandoned science, economics, or any other goal besides impelling endless waves of troops against your cities. I thought was funny for a while, as its a suicidal strategy that invariably ensured my victory, but it did get stale.

Oblivion--I played as a rogue-type character, and found the thieves' guild missions to be a real thrill. NPC's actually follow routines, and you get missions that entail stalking them, learning their behavior, breaking into their houses while they're out. Cool stuff. Unfortunately, once those missions are done, much of the rest of the game was unplayable for my combat-inept rogue. If I play again, I think I'll just do what I clearly ought to have done: play a heavily-armored mage.

Mass Effect--Lots has been said about ME already. Can't really add to it.

Orange Box--What a great little package. Half-Life I & II, Team Fortress 2, and Portal. All awesome.

Left 4 Dead--Best teamwork-oriented game I've played.

Culdacept Saga--A very good game with serious niche appeal. An addicitve combination of CCG and board game.

Far Cry 2--I got halfway through and felt like I got everything it had to offer. Like Ubisoft's other big game, Assassin's Creed, it's got a wierd design that punishes the player for trying to roam.

Last edited:

Role-Playing Games:
If ur on these forums you're prob interested in good RPG. First choice is Fallout 3, I would def go with that one first over all the others. Second, maybe Mass Effect. But I didn't like Oblivion on console at all. It was designed for a PC and PC controls, so it didn't convert well over to console, IMO.

Horror Games:
You're only choice here is Dead Space...really a fun game to play IMO. It may not fall in line with everyone's defintion of a horror game, but when you play alone at night in a dark room, it can crawl up your skin a little. Probably only play it 15-20 hours, but its nice. I like it a lot.

First-Person Shooters:
Go with LEft 4 Dead if you have a LIVE Gold account. Pretty fun multi player action. Single player is pointless. Halo series might be good if your into single player (I kinda liked it, it was nice, decent story and good play), but I think of Halo for its multiplayer online action. YMMV

Space Shooters:
Probably out of luck on this one. Might want to look through the LIVE Arcade and see what they have there.

LASTLY: I want to advocate for use of GameFly. I think this is much better option for most folks. For about $24/month you can keep out 2 games, and once you've had it for a while they let you upgrade to 3 or 4 games if you want. Plus you can buy previously played games for cheap. I think its a solid deal. I don't like spending $60 on a game regardless. This way, I basically never have to.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Thanks again to everyone who has chipped into this thread. I have a shortlist of about a dozen games now that have consistently been recommended across the board, so that will keep me going for sure.

As mentioned above, I had already ordered the Orange Box and have been playing it until unreasonable hours most nights. Fantastic. I'm still in Half-Life 2 (bombing along the coast in that rattly dune-buggy thing) and loving it to bits. A friend said that it was better than the first Half-Life and I didn't know whether to believe him. Man, was I wrong. Awesome game.

It had an annoying glitch, mind you - it would freeze up during certain load screens or when reverting to some previous autosaves after I had been killed. Not all the time - just often enough to be annoying. I installed it to the hard drive and (along with removing the fan noise) this has made it run perfectly smoothly. Dunno if that was an issue with my copy or with the Orange Box in general. It doesn't happen with any of our other games. Oh well. Bygones.

Also been playing my gf's copy of Tomb Raider: Legend (which she bought on impulse as it was only £8!) Lots of fun. And for my daughter, I picked up an old Xbox game called Barbie Horse Adventures: Wild Horse Rescue (or something like that). Very simple, very straightforward. Perfect for her. She adores it.

Anyway, really enjoying the console. Me, my gf and my son all have birthdays coming soon, so we should be making a few more purchases. My son is dead keen on Fifa 09 and the old Enter the Matrix game. Does anyone have experience with the latter?

Remove ads