• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recommendations for alchemy source books?

Conaill

First Post
Ok, I'm back! :)

The two best online compilations for alchemical materials from a whole bunch of sources are

1. Crystal Keep's Index of Equipment (3.0), with almost 9 pages of alchemical substances, and 4 pages of poisons

2. Stormkeep's Alchemist's Library, which aside from published items also contains some "homebrewn" items which are surprisingly well-balanced (much better balanced than that AlchemyMJJ freebie from Bastion, or than a number of other unpublished sources).

If you do decide you want to buy a sourcebook on top of these, here is a partial listing of the number of items I collected from various sources:

1) Arms & Equipment Guide: 26
2) Dragon #280: 24
3) Dragon #301: 21
4) Kalamar's Players Guide: 13
5) Quintessential Elf: 14
6) Spells & Spellcraft: 16
7) Ultimate Equipment Guide: 34

There's some others as well, such as Tome & Blood, various other Dragon issues, QuintWiz, Traps & Treachery, FRCS etc, but the ones I listed above are the main ones.

I figure any gaming group could probably use a copy of either the Arms & Equipment Guide or the Ultimate Equipment Guide. With that one plus the two online sources listed above, your alchemist should have more than enough to keep her going for a loooong time...

Conaill

First Post
PS:

For alchemist PCs, and in fact for crafters in general, I would very strongly suggest you increase the cvrafting speed by a factor of 7 or 10. I.e., calculate progress in sp/day or gp/week, rather than sp/week.

It'll still be incredibly underbalanced compared to spellcasters who can fire off several fireballs per day for free, or craft magical items at 1000 gp/day. But at least it makes crafting things an option, rather than just an extremely time consuming hobby...

Remove ads