D&D 5E Recovering Ability Score Damage

procproc

First Post
I've only run across it in the context of the Intellect Devourer, which as mentioned above, does not list a way to recover from it.

I defaulted to "recover one point per long rest" like in 3.x, and it definitely feels too slow. I found a way to work in a potion of Greater Restoration, but the party hasn't bothered to figure out what it is yet. In the future, I think the "until long rest" suggestion is the best way to go for Intellect Devourer.

Dragongrief

Explorer
I've only run across it in the context of the Intellect Devourer, which as mentioned above, does not list a way to recover from it.

I defaulted to "recover one point per long rest" like in 3.x, and it definitely feels too slow. I found a way to work in a potion of Greater Restoration, but the party hasn't bothered to figure out what it is yet. In the future, I think the "until long rest" suggestion is the best way to go for Intellect Devourer.

Thanks all. This is the creature in question that made me go looking for the rules. I'm helping a friend who is getting back into DMing, and he liked the ID because it fits the "random & terifying" theme, but CR 2 with that ability seemed off.

S

Sunseeker

It's not typically well specified. But For my purposes players can recover one lost mental and one lost physical point per long rest; provided that none of the damage dealt was permanant, or specifies any other duration on how long it lasts. IE: if it reduces your Con by 1 for 1 minute, then of course, it returns after 1 minute. If it reduces your brain to 1 for 30 days (Feeblemind) then you have 30 days before you recover.

So, if you take Str and Con damage, you can recover either 1 point in Str OR one point in Con. If you took Str, Con and Int damage you can recover 1 Str or Con, AND 1 Int per long rest.

I actually REALLY like stat damage. Most of my tougher monsters inflict it to some degree.

The way I was thinking the Intellect Devourer could work was, after a Short Rest, their intelligence recovers by 1d4 points, and after a long rest, they recover 3d4 points of intelligence.

Tormyr

Hero
The Devour Intellect power doesn't make any sense at all. Reducing a character's Int to 0 should represent the complete destruction of their mind. The Intellect Devourer already has a different power that does exactly that. So why even have the Int reduction at all? It should just say "stunned" for whatever duration.

Also the flavor text on that page is dumb, but that's beside the point.

Why would Intelligence of 0 be the destruction of the mind? At least in 3.5, it was represnted by coma-like state, and in 5e it seems to be represented by the stunned condition.

The Devour Intellect action is written that way for a couple of reasons.
1. The stunned condition makes the target incapacitated. This allows body thief to be initiated. Otherwise, it would have to use its claws to knock someone unconscious.
2. The ability score reduction to 0 makes the Intelligence contest be in the intellect devourer's favor without the result being automatic.

For the OP:
As others have said, ability score damage is rare. In 3.5 ability score damage was recovered at a rate of 1 point per day. Ability score drain was permanent. 5e tosses all that out the window and relies on monster actions to describe the ability score loss (and possible recover). The spell greater restoration acts as a general catchall for restoring an ability score. The shadow gives an indication of what ability score damage looks like in 5e --- the damage is recovered after a long rest (or greater restoration). The intellect devourer shows how to handle ability score drain --- the drain is permanent until solved by magic such as greater restoration. The wraith shows how to handle Constitution ability damage --- the maximum hit points are reduced instead.

What I usually do for creatures converted from 3.5 is to skip reduction in ability scores and instead give the affected creature disadvantage to all ability checks, saving throws, and attack rolls with the affected ability until the creature finishes a long rest or gets greater restoration.

Last edited:

Brian Germain

First Post
My point is that the concept of "ability damage" does not exist in the 5e rules. Sure, some exceptional effects may reduce an ability score for a specified duration (the feeblemind spell is another example), but there's no need to have a core rule about it.
Except for the shadow. The shadow drains Strength.

It's weird and yeah, so far as I can tell, the only example in the entire game.
Intellect Devourer, Shadow, Wight, Oblex, Demilich, Death Kiss, etc etc etc.

Brian Germain

First Post
Am I missing something, or is recovering ability damage virtually impossible per the base rules?

The first player-controlled ability I could find is the 5th level Greater Restoration spell.

Is that it, or did I miss an entry somewhere about natural recovery?
Depends I see you all talking about this "ability damage" so I think you'd have to calrify what this means... I realize this is an old thread but Intellect Devourer, Shadow, Wight, Oblex, Demilich, Death Kiss, and several. all drain ability scores. I believe there are certain spells that do also.

Remove ads