• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Recruiting] Cronos Sphere [D20]

Voda Vosa

First Post
The year 2093 gave birth to the single piece of technology that would change the way humanity perceived the world around them, the reality itself.
The name of that invention is “Cronos Sphere” given by his inventors, a multidisciplinary investigation group whose lead scientists were a Greek physicist, Phelypo Atanotakos, a Russian mathematic, Ivan Siderkewikz, a British engineer in chemistry, Sir Percibald Taylor, a Chinese nuclear physicist, Lee Meichuang and a German anthropologist, Rolf von Stargüen. Several other scientists worked in the Cronos project, from all around the world, and from all disciplines.
The project began in 2073, with high expectative, and had its ups and downs during the way, but finally, the Cronos project was going to give a demonstration of the functioning of their prototype.
What the group had created was a device capable of creating a sphere in the space-time continuum. With the correct parameters set in the colossal machinery of the Cronos Sphere, it was possible, in theory, to extract a portion of a date and a place, and get it to the present. It was true for the future as well. In theory, of course.
The colossal machine accounted with several rooms of computers and acceleration particle cannons, as well as with a personal nuclear plant to power the huge facility. In the center of the main room, was a chromed ring of metal, of 2 meters of diameter, and thick as refrigerator. Many thick cables were plugged into the steel wheel from the surrounding machines and rooms, and two tubes from the particle accelerators ended in the massive ring.
Several other tests had been conducted, and wonderfully it worked! The ring began to hum intensely as the flow of accelerated particles hit its interior mobile parts, and the inner rings began to spin at incredible speed. The giant wires pulsed nuclear energy into the device, and the ring itself began to vibrate and glow. Slowly, it started to spin in every direction, as if it were not fixed and connected with cables and tubes. The spinning was so fast that it created a shining chromates sphere. With a flash of light, the engine stopped, and in the middle of the sphere, there was a perfect cut of a Viking ship of the 300 BC. The wood structure fall from the gape into a platform of pressurized air that hold it floating in the air.
Like that, medieval canons, ancient Chinese weapons, carriages, cars, pieces of buildings, even portions of that same room were transported into the ring. In theory, these fragments were taken from other temporal realities, and so it didn’t altered the space time continuum. Again, in Theory.
The tests went so well that the group decided to lunch their prototype for general public to see and wonder themselves with the latest most great invention of all times.
But something went wrong. Terribly wrong.
Up to the moment of the stable chromate sphere, everything went according to plan, but then, the shiny sphere began to grow, and as it did it, it sucked the things it came into contact into the sphere. The sphere began to grow and grow and eat away the facilities. When the computers were affected, there was nothing to control the space and time in which the sphere was supposed to operate. So it operated in all possible combinations. At once.
The sphere slowly grew up to the size of the city, sucking everything into it. Eventually, the country was inside the giant sphere. Chaos sprung around the world, prophets shouted the end of the world was near! As so it was. Only contained by the boundaries of the stratosphere, the Sphere of Cronos swallowed the entire world. All people were dead, everything destroyed, everything lost for this world. The outer layer of the Sphere reached outer space, and the ultra accelerated particles, that made the miracle possible, shot to infinitum, and in a blink, the Cronos Sphere scattered in countless pieces, like a silvery planetary firework.
But this is not the story of this doomed world. It is the story of the other realities, from which huge portions were taken by the Cronos Sphere. As it grew bigger, it took people inside; it sucked entire nations, entire clans, starships, military bases, buildings, cities, portions of natural landscape, with the native creatures of these realities.
Now, these portions of different realities were scattered, covering the dead world with life and civilization again. In some places, portions of the old world remained, like burned ruins of a grim past, where dark things lurked at night.
The original scientist who conceived the Crono Sphere were all dead, and the original machinery destroyed; but this world was built with different realities, some of them similar to the doomed one. Perhaps there’s a Rolf von Stargüen wondering the land. And it would not be a surprise, if he was caring a sword, and donned in a medieval armor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well that was a lengthy introduction was it?
This game will be about the survivors of other realities that were transported and trapped in this world. They must overcome the difficulties of this strange mix of realities and find a way to return to their own time and space, if they want to.
The system to use will be D20, all books allowed, d20 past, modern, future, races from D&D would be ok too, and we could talk about classes etc on a case to case basis.
Characters would start at 7th level, and be generated using 35 points. We’ll be deciding on equipment later, I could use some input on this.
Interests?

Layf

First Post
Would a character from a very old (1984) D&D book work? I'd love to join but as of now that's the only rule book I have, haha.

EDIT: If a more modern character is required, could I use an online generator?

Last edited:

Seeing this, I was planning to go for a D20 Modern character. Maybe use the 'Gene Warrior' Advanced Class of D20 Future (or the 'Evolutionist' from D20 Apocalypse) and have him be a futuristic soldier.

Voda Vosa

First Post
Would a character from a very old (1984) D&D book work? I'd love to join but as of now that's the only rule book I have, haha.

EDIT: If a more modern character is required, could I use an online generator?

Tell me about the character you are thinking about and we will d20size it. ^^

Seeing this, I was planning to go for a D20 Modern character. Maybe use the 'Gene Warrior' Advanced Class of D20 Future (or the 'Evolutionist' from D20 Apocalypse) and have him be a futuristic soldier.
Sounds like a blast! Looking forward to see the sheet.

Layf

First Post
Tell me about the character you are thinking about and we will d20size it. ^^

Alright, I think I would like to make a human thief character, using a staff and throwing knives as weapons. His name will be Layf, he will have brown hair, blue eyes, and be around 5'9" tall, 19-years-old, and have the ability to cast a few illusion spells, but no attacks or healings.

NOTE: I am new to the d20 system, and am used to playing literate RPGs, so bear with me, this is my first time :)

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
Alright, I think I would like to make a human thief character, using a staff and throwing knives as weapons. His name will be Layf, he will have brown hair, blue eyes, and be around 5'9" tall, 19-years-old, and have the ability to cast a few illusion spells, but no attacks or healings.

NOTE: I am new to the d20 system, and am used to playing literate RPGs, so bear with me, this is my first time :)

It can be done, just mixing up some classes. If you want the dodginess of a rouge you should start as a fast hero, and then, if you want those famous sneak attacks, you should take gangster prestige class. For magic tricks you should add a level of Spellslinger, to aid your dagger throwing.
I could make this character for you, with you making key choices. You can also try using a character generator, just keep in mind that your character is somehow homebrewed

d20 Modern Character Generator

Voda Vosa

First Post
Perfectly done, but you will not be able to: 1) sneak attack, 2) cast spells.

Later tomorrow I'll make a character for you, using that sheet as a guidance for feats and skills you want, and you then tell me which you like the most.

Remove ads