• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recruiting for Blood and Guts: Modern Military PbP (done recruiting for now)

Masada

First Post
I was considering trading out my Far Shot feat for Aircraft Operation (Helicopter) and tossing some skill in to Pilot. If it makes the group a little stronger, I can do that.

kingpaul

First Post
And I'm not so attached to either of the 2 character I rolled up to not make a 3rd to fill out the group's complement of abilities better.

Bobitron

Explorer
uraniumdragon said:
Updated the info, including a link to a photo.
I think I'm ready to go.

I've got to speak up here, Uranium. Since we are going to be assigned (initially, at least) to the upkeep of electronic gear, it makes sense that you would use your attribute bonus to go towards Int (extra skill points and a +3 Int bonus to lots of critical skills) and maybe max out skills like Repair, Knowledge (Technology), Computer Use, Disable Device, Craft (Mechanical), and Craft (Electronics). A +4 or +8 in those skills is nothing to sneeze at, but by focusing your points a bit more effectively to get synergy bonuses, you should be able to get them much higher. It's great to see a flexible character, but we have to consider you are part of a team here.

Please don't take this wrong, I'm just making a suggestion. If you feel the flexibility you built into Odie is his main strength, then ignore me. :heh:

Edit: Shaman is a character build master, maybe he has some more ideas.

The Shaman

First Post
Bobitron said:
Since we are going to be assigned (initially, at least) to the upkeep of electronic gear, it makes sense that you would use your attribute bonus to go towards Int (extra skill points and a +3 Int bonus to lots of critical skills) and maybe max out skills like Repair, Knowledge (Technology), Computer Use, Disable Device, Craft (Mechanical), and Craft (Electronics). A +4 or +8 in those skills is nothing to sneeze at, but by focusing your points a bit more effectively to get synergy bonuses, you should be able to get them much higher. It's great to see a flexible character, but we have to consider you are part of a team here.
Bobitron makes a good point about teamwork - it's true in any RPG of course but in a military game, it's really a part of the roleplaying experience as well.

Part of working as a team means understanding the various roles the team members will play. As the tech, OD will have responsibility not only for fixing any broken sensors (per the adventure intro) but for maintaining and repairing unit equipment, finding and disarming booby traps, operating communications equipment to keep us in touch with our support, and identifying technological devices that we may come across in the field. That makes Search, Disable Device, Repair and Computer Use the four main skills the tech in this game is likely to need most often, and on which the team will be depending.

While there may be a need to build something from scratch, we may be limited in what we can take along in terms of tool kits and supplies, which means Craft (electronics), Craft (mechanical) and Knowledge (technology) skills will be most beneficial in adding skill synergy bonuses - these skills don't necessarily need to be maxed-out, but in order to provide the bonus to Repair et al., you may want to consider putting at least five ranks into one or more of them. Again, you improve the chances of the team accomplishing its mission by making OD efficient at his primary role.

I'm a little confused by some of the skills you selected, uraniumdragon. For example, it looks like you have four ranks in Investigate - what sorts of clues will you be looking to analyze or evidence to collect during the adventure? Research is more likely to be useful to OD than Investigate. A single rank in Tumble isn't really worthwhile in my experience - you'll rarely make the DC 15 check to use it in combat, and it doesn't provide any bonus to Total Defense (which requires five ranks).

It looks like you've scattered skill points around a number of Knowledge skills as well - it might be more effective to focus on two or three, rather than trying to have a little of everything. IMX Gather Information, Research, and Knowledge (current events) generate similar results - if I have the skills ranks available, I'll usually put points into one or two of the three, maxing one if possible. Personally I'll take either Knowledge (streetwise) or Knowledge (pop culture), but not both - either one will usually add a synergy bonus to Gather Information.

I'm guessing that the rank in Sleight of Hand represents some (possibly larcenous?) aspect of OD's past in East St. Louis? ;) Doc Meadows' ranks in Craft (structural) and Knowledge (theology and theosophy) are there for the same reason, representing his experience as a firefighter and a missionary - that they also come in handy for digging foxholes or gaining insight into religious issues during the adventure is just an added benefit. :cool: I like to sink ranks into "background" skills, but what I try to keep in mind is this: am I roleplaying my character as he was five years ago, or as he is now?

Finally, when assigning skill ranks and feats, I try to consider the effect of taking 10 or 20 and the DCs I'm likely to face. For example, in my first draft of Doc Meadows, his Treat Injury score was +18 - after thinking about it a bit, I realized that it was overkill, that with a +15 and the ability to take 10 under duress I could consistently hit DC 25, which means that without rolling a die he can treat or stabilize injured characters consistently even without his medical kit. That meant I could swap one talent for another and increase the HP Doc restores instead. Knowing what kinds of DCs you can hit when you take 10 or 20 can influence feat and talent selection to make your character more effective.

uraniumdragon, if you find any of these suggestions useful, great - if not, ignore them completely. OD is YOUR CHARACTER to play, not mine, not Bobitron's, so make the choices YOU want to make.

The Shaman

First Post
kingpaul said:
So, any opinion on which character I should play?
I'm partial to your Fast/Recon vehicle ops character (Navigate +9 - good skill!), but we'll see what Ranger Rick brings to the table - we may need the tank more.

If you were thinking of a third character, a Strong/Charismatic would be a good addition - the Leadership talent tree offers some nice bonuses to the team. If I wasn't running a medic, that's what I'd run - he'd be a military policeman.

As it stands, we have two tanks as our primary punishers (Bear Rameh and your as-yet-unnamed Str3/Ass2), a scout (Chicken Legs Jackson) for infiltration and sharpshooting, a tech with decent combat skills (Odie Green), and a healer with some face skills (Doc Meadows) who's VERY vulnerable to area effects - I imagine I'll be burning APs by the handful on Reflex saves when the RPGs begin to fly. :\ I'm guessing that Ranger Rick's character will have decent combat skills as well.

As of now, I would say that our fire teams would be Bear and your unnamed tank as our assault section with Odie and Ranger Rick's character providing supporting fire - Chicken Legs and Doc may function as a fire team as well, but most often will be found operating on the periphery of the other four.

Once we have all the characters done, we can discuss this in more detail.

To All: I appreciate the suggestions you have made. I take no offense. My concern when rolling him up was to not be pigeon-holed into a character that has no use in a campaign. If we were to start at level 1 and I saw what direction the GM was going with his campaign and the players were going with their characters, then I could adjust as I go. Since I have no idea what computers or electronics Chuck has in mind in Iraq, and knowing the extreme use (and effectiveness) of IED in Iraq, I thought to "multi-class" into explosive expert as well. Kinda of why I haven't suggested making up a driver or pilot. If we don't need a pilot, why waste a feat or two into useless directions.

I already adjusted out the jump and climb skills because armor wipes them right out. And when forced to use the basic scores, that includes an 8, Charisma sucks and I have to expend points in Gather Info just to break even. I would hope for a "Faceman" character to do the talking for us. Knowledge skills tells me what I learned before I got there. Gather info means I have to spend time asking around to a crowd that may not exist. In my opinion, of course... <grin>

I'll take your comments into mind and reconsider today, since all of the characters are not in yet and Chuck wasn't declared a lock.

Thanks again.

Bobitron

Explorer
Cool, UD. THanks for listening. Like I said, don't sweat it if he is already as you like.

kingpaul, I would agree with Shaman. Since you are being so flexible in what you play (thanks!), I would wait until RR comes up with something. Fast/Recon vehicle op or a leader type with decent combat abilities make the most sense to me, but if RR's guy leans towards the weaker side in combat, another weapons guy would make sense. Maybe a gunner with a M249 and the feats to make use of it?

I had initially written up Bear as a Charismatic/Leader and was pretty happy with what came out. He had high Bluff, Demolitions, Disable, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, Streetwise and Tactics (all at +8 or over). My only real complaint about the Leader class is the need for the Teamwork and Tactician feats. Unless everyone in the unit burns a feat on Teamwork, they are both useless, as is the Voice of Command ability.

If you guys would rather, I can switch over to the Leader. But I think to make it work, everyone would have to take Teamwork (US Army).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads