Recruiting for Blood and Guts: Modern Military PbP (done recruiting for now)

ragboy

Explorer
Vigilance said:
Hope this helps and thanks for the interest :)

I just got them all... hell it's less than $20 for the lot... Lots of great stuff in here, by the way. I'm thinking of running a PbP game with it, either here or rpol.net.

So, have you used these rules to run any historical military adventures/campaigns? All the WWII rules out there are polluted with arcane stuff, and I'd like to run some B&G-style WWII adventures. I didn't see anything that stood out as anachronistic, other than the obvious stuff (equipment, some of the MOS's and units).. All the rules/feats seem to be fairly applicable...

Anyway. If you have any tips on that, lemme know. Enjoying it so far.

Bobitron

Explorer
ragboy said:
I just got them all... hell it's less than $20 for the lot... Lots of great stuff in here, by the way. I'm thinking of running a PbP game with it, either here or rpol.net.

Do it! I'm in.:) I'd love to play in one of your games.

ragboy said:
So, have you used these rules to run any historical military adventures/campaigns? All the WWII rules out there are polluted with arcane stuff, and I'd like to run some B&G-style WWII adventures.

I am in the midst of starting a WWII pbp using d20 Modern, elements of Hell on Earth (1939-1945), and a splash of Grim Tales. No FX here, thank you very much. :) You can check it out here. I can make room for one more, if you like. A couple of the players who expressed interest haven't shown up in the game thread.

I didn't look at adding B&G in. It seems like it could work well, but might be a good amount of work.

ragboy

Explorer
Night vision and the modern military...

All the American crew-level night vision equipment is essentially "low-light vision" equipment (I was going to use the term active or passive, but I couldn't remember which is which). What this means is that you don't need additional lighting to operate, as long as there's some ambient light available (star light will do nicely -- background light from the city will make your view look like a bright sunny day). The Bradley, however, does have headlights, and the headlights can be fitted with IR lenses to mask the light to everything but another IR sight. This is used for driving and what you guys are doing now: Providing an additional light source for your night vision equipment.

All that being said, you typically don't need an additional light source unless you're in a completely dark environment (cloud cover, heavy smoke or dust, etc). The ambient lighting of the city and stars is more than enough. In fact, with too much light, your night vision equipment will "wash out."

Anyway... just a note. Enjoying the first combat encounter!

Ranger Rick

First Post
ragboy said:
All the American crew-level night vision equipment is essentially "low-light vision" equipment (I was going to use the term active or passive, but I couldn't remember which is which). What this means is that you don't need additional lighting to operate, as long as there's some ambient light available (star light will do nicely -- background light from the city will make your view look like a bright sunny day). The Bradley, however, does have headlights, and the headlights can be fitted with IR lenses to mask the light to everything but another IR sight. This is used for driving and what you guys are doing now: Providing an additional light source for your night vision equipment.

All that being said, you typically don't need an additional light source unless you're in a completely dark environment (cloud cover, heavy smoke or dust, etc). The ambient lighting of the city and stars is more than enough. In fact, with too much light, your night vision equipment will "wash out."

Anyway... just a note. Enjoying the first combat encounter!

But this is not white light. Therefore things will not wash out. Granted, I am thinking of the NVGs that where in use 25 years ago. When we had airplanes mounted with IR search lights sweep the ground, it was like it was daylight, there where even shadows. I know you where a tanker and I am not sure how much you used NVGs on the ground but there was never a problem with wash out.

We are on the outskirts of a city and there should be enough light to see very regularly. But additional light is helpful particularly in allowing the viewers to see more detail in searching the bodies/prisoners/bombs.

ragboy

Explorer
Ranger Rick said:
But this is not white light. Therefore things will not wash out. Granted, I am thinking of the NVGs that where in use 25 years ago. When we had airplanes mounted with IR search lights sweep the ground, it was like it was daylight, there where even shadows. I know you where a tanker and I am not sure how much you used NVGs on the ground but there was never a problem with wash out.

We drove with a piece of equipment that was basically an NVG (inserted into the center periscope on the driver's hole). IR will wash out that sight, but only if it's point directly at you. I should have said "with too much WHITE light, your goggles will wash out." I think the tank (not sure about the Brad) has a thermal sight for the driver these days. Spoiled kids...

Anyway, you don't typically use your headlights unless you're road marching (no danger) or for more precision work (like what ya'll are doing now).

Ranger Rick said:
We are on the outskirts of a city and there should be enough light to see very regularly. But additional light is helpful particularly in allowing the viewers to see more detail in searching the bodies/prisoners/bombs.

Yep. That was more of a 'as you were' post responding to the question of whether the Bradley had a searchlight, but apparently I cut that sentence...

Remove ads