• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Recruiting Fresh Again!] The Old School: 1e AD&D

airwalkrr

Adventurer
So I'm gonna go with an elf magic-user. His name shall be Aaryn d'Alcor, which is the name I give to all my elf wizards. :) I'm also a young adult (see roll below). With that choice made, I add 1 to Dex and subtract 1 from Wis giving me:

S 15 (+200 weight allowance, open doors 1-2, BB/LG 7%)
I 14 (55% chance to learn spells, min spells 6, max spells 9, no bonus languages due to elf race)
W 12 (no effect)
D 18 (+3 reaction/missile attacks, -4 defensive adjustment; starting AC 6!)
Co 17 (+2 hit points/HD, system shock 97%, resurrection 98%)
Ch 16 (max 8 henchmen, +20% loyalty base, +25% reaction adj.)

With an Int of 14 I am limited to 9th-level, so here's hoping I find a ring of four wishes to wish my Int up to 18 :p

Elf Racial Benefits
-90% resistance to charm and sleep
-+1 to attack with a bow (excluding crossbows), long sword or short sword
-able to speak elvish, gnome, halfling, goblin, hobgoblin, orcish, gnoll, common
-able to see infra-red spectrum up to 60'
-notice secret doors within 10' on a 1 out of 6 or 2 out of 6 if actively searching and 3 out of 6 for concealed portals
-if alone (>90' in advance) and not in metal armor surprise monsters on a 4 out of 6 or 2 out of 6 if opening a portal

Class
Magic-User
Title: Prestidigitator
1st-level Spells Per Day: 1 (hooray!)

Alignment
Chaotic Good

Hit Points

Saving Throws
Paralysis/Poison/Death Magic: 14
Petrification/Polymorph: 13
Rod/Staff/Wand: 11
Breath Weapon: 15
Spell: 12

Languages
elvish, gnome, halfling, goblin, hobgoblin, orcish, gnoll, common

Starting Money
20 gold :p

Equipment
TBD

Weapon Proficiency
dart

Spellbook
read magic
charm person
affect normal fires
detect magic

Secondary Skills
trader/barterer

Height
65 inches or 5' 5"

Weight
119 lbs (a bit heavy for an elf, but given his height, still quite lithe by human standards)

Body Mass Index (because I can)

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
So I'm gonna go with an elf magic-user. His name shall be Aaryn d'Alcor, which is the name I give to all my elf wizards. :)

Creative. :p

Spells Known
magic missile
identify
read magic
unseen servant
write
friends
push
light
jump

I think you made the same mistake as I did the first time around for determining spells known. We are using the table on Page 39 of the DMG for determining starting spells.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I think you made the same mistake as I did the first time around for determining spells known. We are using the table on Page 39 of the DMG for determining starting spells.
That's the list of spells I can learn by virtue of my Intelligence. From those, I chose the spells in my spell book from the table on page 39 of the DMG. :)

Rhun

First Post
I was just letting you know what IVV told me, as per below:

I need to finishing purchasing equipment, and determine spells. How are you handling that? Your example PC looks like you rolled for 3 spells...but I thought in AD&D you rolled a percentage of every spell on the spell list to see whether you knew it of not, as per Intelligence Table 2?

Intelligence Table 2 is for learning spells encountered throughout the campaign.

The table you're looking for is on Page 39 of the DMG.

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
That's the list of spells I can learn by virtue of my Intelligence. From those, I chose the spells in my spell book from the table on page 39 of the DMG. :)

You have yet to encounter these spells, and so you do not need to roll at this time. When you encounter these spells, that is when the check is made, as per the example in the PHB, page 10. Your starting spell book, however, is exempt from this, and is the result of diligent study with your master.

Your spell book has Read Magic, and three other spells:
Charm Person
Affect Normal Fires
Detect Magic.

That's actually a good list. There's your book!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads