[Recruitment Full] [level 1 D&D] Storms of Change

silentspace

First Post
The only NPC that's not represented is the rogue, Dunathar, if you're interested in playing him. Feel free to fine-tune him if you'd like.

Seonaid

Explorer
Dunathar was a rogue?!? That explains a lot . . . :D

What happened to the other characters that were dropped?

Edit: (Yes, I'm a little slow today, and no, I don't mean to insult anyone by forgetting them. So if I did--sorry!)

Last edited:

Verbatim

Explorer
silentspace said:
The only NPC that's not represented is the rogue, Dunathar, if you're interested in playing him. Feel free to fine-tune him if you'd like.

When you say fine-tune him, do you mean rearrange skills/stats, or just take his personality and start making it what I want?

Sorry for seeming slow, but want to make sure I don't misunderstand you.

V

Thels

First Post
FYI: For featrelated stuff, Longbows and Composite Longbows were considered different weapons under the 3.0 rules and identical weapons under the 3.5 rules. All feats related to bows also apply to the composite variants (just like bastard sword feats also affect katana feats).

Another change in 3.0 to 3.5 is that under 3.5 there is a formulae for composite bows and their costs, while under 3.0 there were only a few given bows (up to +2 for short and up to +4 for long), so under the new rules, you are no longer limited.

The downside of course is that your bow's magic bonuses no longer stack with your arrow's magic bonuses but overlap.

silentspace

First Post
Seonaid said:
Dunathar was a rogue?!? That explains a lot . . . :D

What happened to the other characters that were dropped?

Edit: (Yes, I'm a little slow today, and no, I don't mean to insult anyone by forgetting them. So if I did--sorry!)

Yep, he didn't do a whole lot of roguish things, but he was very lucky in combat! Didn't get many sneak attacks though. Everyone's still here. They're going to split off at Carodan.

silentspace

First Post
Verbatim said:
When you say fine-tune him, do you mean rearrange skills/stats, or just take his personality and start making it what I want?

Sorry for seeming slow, but want to make sure I don't misunderstand you.

V

I think I was the one who was unclear. OK, so if you want to use one of the pre-made characters because you don't have the time/desire to make your own, you're welcome to take any of the three. I only suggested the rogue because we don't have one, and we already have a wizard and a few combat types.

I wasn't thinking too clearly when I wrote that post. I guess when you get down to it, if you're going to rearrange the skills and stats, you might as well make a new character! Either way is fine by me. You can keep him as is or make a few tweaks. If you're going to make major changes, might as well make a new character. :)

silentspace

First Post
Thels said:
FYI: For featrelated stuff, Longbows and Composite Longbows were considered different weapons under the 3.0 rules and identical weapons under the 3.5 rules. All feats related to bows also apply to the composite variants (just like bastard sword feats also affect katana feats).

Another change in 3.0 to 3.5 is that under 3.5 there is a formulae for composite bows and their costs, while under 3.0 there were only a few given bows (up to +2 for short and up to +4 for long), so under the new rules, you are no longer limited.

The downside of course is that your bow's magic bonuses no longer stack with your arrow's magic bonuses but overlap.

Thanks Thels. IRL I find the bows significantly different but whatever. Let's do this:

- Longbows and Composite Longbows are the same for feats.
- Mighty bows can go higher than listed, but they are rarely made.
- Magic bonuses still stack.

Also:
- You can use a Mighty bow of equal or lower strength than your own with no penalty. You cannot use a Mighty bow of higher strength than your own.

Thels

First Post
Normally, too heavy bows incur a -2 to hit penalty, but not being able to use them sounds good as well.

Just to get things complete, can people with Str less than 10 use composite bows at all or are they restricted to regular bows (effectively making regular composite bows into +0 Str bows).

Not that Zanock will likely find a bow he couldn't pull though.

silentspace

First Post
I never liked the -2 ruling. I always thought it should be like in the Odyssey: you're too puny to even pull the damn thing! :D

Good point about the 0 str bows though, I hadn't thought of that. I like it though. The reason people made composite bows in the first place was to make a stronger bow, so yes, we'll say you need a minimum strength of 10 to use a composite bow. I don't think that should bother anyone, right?

Remove ads