• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recurring silly comment about Apocalypse World and similar RPGs

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
You 100% get a like, but not a love!

I didn't come to AW wanting to know how it might differ from D&D 3E, or D&D 5e, or Rolemaster. My context was HeroWars/Quest, Burning Wheel, and 4e D&D - all of which rely on scene-framing, and "say 'yes' - if nothing is at stake - or otherwise roll the dice" as the core principle for when the action resolution mechanics are invoked.

For me, "if you do it, you do it" was pretty clear straight away - it signalled that this is not a "say 'yes' or roll the dice" game, but actually more like Classic Traveller where a certain, system-defined sub-set of action declarations require the dice to be rolled and an associated sub-system to be deployed to work out what follows from the roll. (And @Campbell, over a series of posts and threads, really helped drive home how different this makes the game from a scene-framed one.)

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think it's incumbent on the rulebook to treat D&D as the initial context for any system explanation. I don't think you think that either, but I do think that the catchphrase is not terrible when the initial context is closer to the one I was starting from.
The rulebook isn't required to build off the assumption of being familiar with D&D, true, but so many gamers have that as their grounding that not doing so has the potential to leave a large portion of their possible audience behind.

GamerforHire

Explorer
How much 'experience' do the players need? ALL they need to do is act in character, that's it! "I rush the goblin with my spear!" OK! The GM says "that's Hack & Slash since your spear can clearly engage the goblin before he can bring his little dagger to bear on you." What skill does that require? I mean, sure it helps of the player thinks "Gosh, I'm a dwarf fighter with a spear, I'm pretty tough, it's a good idea for me to fight!" but that doesn't even require system knowledge, just basic application of the logic of fictional position (which the GM is bound to honor). It's certainly no more demanding than any version of D&D where you would need to have a similar level of understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of your character (IE the same logic would suffice for 5e, right).

I've never understood the notion that there's something difficult about playing a PbtA. It is one of the least demanding and most obvious sorts of game for a player to grasp and requires ZERO system knowledge to play at a basic level of competence (It certainly doesn't hurt to have a good grasp of the rules, for instance the dwarf in the example above could Discern Realities instead, gaining a potential advantage and probably still engage with the spear, though it might depend on more details as to whether it poses any risk). Still, it's an exceedingly simple game, with far less intricate rules than 5e D&D.

What I am referring to is confusion among some players about what the Move mechanic is about and the fun ways it can be used, as opposed to “normal” roleplaying where the characters merely react to the GM’s scenario and actions they take. It may seem odd that this happens, but I have seen it in every AW-style game I have played in at conventions. It is fun to see these players catch on, as the more experienced AW players who grok the mechanic employ it during the session.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Every game and play style has a percentage of snobs. As someone who who enjoys a variety of games, I don't see that any particular group is worse than any other.
That's probably true. For me, the difference is that while a D&D snob will quote the rules at you to prove their "superiority", a PbtA snob will--and I have experienced this first-hand--tell you you're actually gaming wrong without trying to explain why.

Just recently, I was on a reddit post where the OP asked how to better integrate clues into their MotW game. But no, they were gaming wrong, they didn't understand the game, they were being a bad GM. I pointed out that this wasn't true--the game itself talks about laying down clues for the PCs. It just doesn't go into detail. And I quoted the text. In response, I had a mod tell me to stop posting and go reread the book. Because clearly, actually quoting the book meant I hadn't read it. And I've also seen people say that you can't change any of the rules to better suit your table or to make it more fun, because that's Wrong--even if the rules are things that make you uncomfortable (like sex moves).

And it's a terrible shame because I really enjoy the system, and have a bunch of PbtA or BitD games I'd love to play or run, but it's very hard to actually get answers to questions I may have without the risk of having everyone in the forum tell me I'm failing as a GM instead of answering the blankety-blank question.

I wouldn't worry about the bad-mouthing of DW that is fairly common. I've played a little bit of it, and it worked fine. @AbdulAlhazred, @Manbearcat and @darkbard on these boards have heaps of experience both individually and moreso between them, and are probably willing to share thoughts/advice if you like.
@John Lloyd1 I agree with this. Certainly Apocalypse World 2e is a bit more polished game than Dungeon World, but DW is quite solid, IMHO. I like the fronts and associated stuff, they seem fairly straightforward to implement and allow the GM to provide some strong meta-plot without it necessarily taking control of play. I get why various people feel like it can be an easier game to subvert, simply because it borrows a milieu from such a strong trad game and you can certainly easily mutate fronts into a mechanism for applying GM plot to drive the game vs 'finding out' what the story is in a less forced way. You really just have to follow the advice given assiduously. I think it would make sense to get, and perhaps play, AW 2e, and then maybe read and play DW through that lens. There have been various attempts to modernize DW, but the original authors apparently are not likely to do it, and I guess other efforts have spun off into their own rather different games.

You 100% get a like, but not a love!

I didn't come to AW wanting to know how it might differ from D&D 3E, or D&D 5e, or Rolemaster. My context was HeroWars/Quest, Burning Wheel, and 4e D&D - all of which rely on scene-framing, and "say 'yes' - if nothing is at stake - or otherwise roll the dice" as the core principle for when the action resolution mechanics are invoked.

For me, "if you do it, you do it" was pretty clear straight away - it signalled that this is not a "say 'yes' or roll the dice" game, but actually more like Classic Traveller where a certain, system-defined sub-set of action declarations require the dice to be rolled and an associated sub-system to be deployed to work out what follows from the roll. (And @Campbell, over a series of posts and threads, really helped drive home how different this makes the game from a scene-framed one.)

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think it's incumbent on the rulebook to treat D&D as the initial context for any system explanation. I don't think you think that either, but I do think that the catchphrase is not terrible when the initial context is closer to the one I was starting from.
Dungeon World P18
When a player describes their character doing something that
triggers a move, that move happens and its rules apply. If the move
requires a roll, its description will tell you what dice to roll and how
to read their results.
A character can’t take the fictional action that triggers a move
without that move occurring. For example, if Isaac tells the GM
that his character dashes past a crazed axe-wielding orc to the open
door, he makes the defy danger move because its trigger is “when
you act despite an imminent threat.” Isaac can’t just describe his
character running past the orc without making the defy danger move
and he can’t make the defy danger move without acting despite an
imminent threat or suffering a calamity. The moves and the fiction
go hand-in-hand.
As you can see, DW doesn't employ any catch phrase, but it plainly states the same concept pretty succinctly, and gives a very basic straightforward example. This is on Page 18 of a 400 page rulebook, so right in the basic introductory material (the Chapter is called "How to Play"). Page 19 then follows on with "How to Make a Move" and "The Basic Move Outcomes." At this point, on P19 of 150+ pages of player facing rules you already know ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW to play DW! Pages 7-12 told you what its about and described the characters in fictional terms, and 12-18 explains what sort of game it is (why play this game) and an overview of the structure of the rules and play, with the rules really starting on P15 telling you "
Playing Dungeon World is all about finding out what happens when
your characters encounter dangerous and exciting monsters, strange
ruins, and unusual people on their quest for gold and glory. It’s a
conversation between the players and the GM..."

It is plain as the nose on my face (trust me, its plain) how the game runs from a player perspective at this point. This is a VERY VERY simple straightforward game. It is actually conceptually more straightforward IMHO and easier to grasp than D&D is!

What I am referring to is confusion among some players about what the Move mechanic is about and the fun ways it can be used, as opposed to “normal” roleplaying where the characters merely react to the GM’s scenario and actions they take. It may seem odd that this happens, but I have seen it in every AW-style game I have played in at conventions. It is fun to see these players catch on, as the more experienced AW players who grok the mechanic employ it during the session.
In my experience the 'moves' architecture isn't really the problem. When I ran PACE (a diceless lightweight system which just gives each player 2 traits of their choice to leverage) the players had been playing 3e for ages and had basically the same sort of issue. They wanted some sort of 'attribute check' or something that would mechanically describe the outcome of an action in pass/fail terms and seemed frustrated that they only had "2 skills" each (and the sorts of traits they chose initially were very mechanistic, like "strong" or "quick witted"). After a couple sessions though the idea of a more narrativist sort of "tell us what your goal is" and then describing how the opposition shapes up, etc. became routine. Now, that game is certainly not PbtA, but I would say the way I ran it was pretty much like "the core of the onion" in VB's terms. Its a conversation with a few (very few) rules which help to tell us what happened. Moves are just sauce on that. They add a lot of good stuff, but triggering them is not what the game is ABOUT.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Because "if you do it, you do it" is not actually all that clear. It doesn't actually tell you how to do it.
Even so, "if you do it, you do it" is a good foundational principle for almost any RPG to use, including typical D&D: declaring an action commits you to (at least attempting) that action in the fiction. No take-backs, no "well, actually I would have...", or any of that nonsense.

The "how" piece is system-based. The underlying principle is almost system-agnostic.

pemerton

Legend
Even so, "if you do it, you do it" is a good foundational principle for almost any RPG to use, including typical D&D: declaring an action commits you to (at least attempting) that action in the fiction. No take-backs, no "well, actually I would have...", or any of that nonsense.

The "how" piece is system-based. The underlying principle is almost system-agnostic.
No. "If you do it, you do it" is not system agnostic. That's the point - in particular, it contrasts with Vincent Baker's second-best known RPG, Dogs in the Vineyard, which is not "if you do it, you do it" but rather "say 'yes' or roll the dice".

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
No. "If you do it, you do it" is not system agnostic. That's the point - in particular, it contrasts with Vincent Baker's second-best known RPG, Dogs in the Vineyard, which is not "if you do it, you do it" but rather "say 'yes' or roll the dice".
"Say yes or roll the dice" reads to me as advice/instructions to the GM. "If you do it, you do it" reads to me more as cautionary instructions to the players.

I don't see a reason why both principles can't be in place at the same time.

pemerton

Legend
"Say yes or roll the dice" reads to me as advice/instructions to the GM. "If you do it, you do it" reads to me more as cautionary instructions to the players.

I don't see a reason why both principles can't be in place at the same time.
They are both addressed to all participants. And they can't be in place at the same time because they are contradictory.

"If you do it, you do it" means that any action declaration that meets the fictional conditions for triggering the mechanical resolution subsystem, activates that subsystem.

"Say 'yes' or roll the dice" means that any action declaration activate the action resolution mechanics only if something salient is at stake. Otherwise, the action simply succeeds.

To give a concrete example: any time, in AW, that a PC threatens another character with violence, to try and get them to do something, the Go Aggro move must be rolled and resolved; whereas, in Burning Wheel, if a PC threatens a NPC with violence to try and get them to do something, and the NPC has no salience (eg is not a relationship, is not implicated by a Belief, etc) and the thing the PC wants done is just a means to some end that matters, then the GM just says "yes" and the threatened NPC relents.

Remove ads