• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Red Box Advertising Resurgence?

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
I seem to be seeing an uptick in red box banner ads on the net (say in the last week). In addition, the wizards.com/dnd web site reverted back to a splash page (prompting me to go to walmart, target, or where trading cards are sold) for the red box when I visited it today.

Has anyone else seen this or is my browser cache merely suffering a red box disease?

Dausuul

Legend
I seem to be seeing an uptick in red box banner ads on the net (say in the last week). In addition, the wizards.com/dnd web site reverted back to a splash page (prompting me to go to walmart, target, or where trading cards are sold) for the red box when I visited it today.

Has anyone else seen this or is my browser cache merely suffering a red box disease?

Unless you've taken steps to block them, most likely what's happening is that banner advertisers have picked up on your interest in D&D and are serving up appropriate ads. I see this stuff all over the place now. Never used to see it at all, except on sites devoted to gaming.

Dunno about the Wizards site, though.

Cyronax

Explorer
Unless you've taken steps to block them, most likely what's happening is that banner advertisers have picked up on your interest in D&D and are serving up appropriate ads. I see this stuff all over the place now. Never used to see it at all, except on sites devoted to gaming.

Dunno about the Wizards site, though.

/Threadcrap

Isn't it kind of scary that Dausuul's hypothesis is real option? (Edit: And by 'scary' I mean the technology for our every move online to be tracked).

/end threadcrap

What is the possibility that WotC has done a stealth marketing scheme? Haven't we been hearing that they're going to try to market the Red Box and Essentials more than they did for the initial release of 4e?

C.I.D.

Last edited:

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
Dausuul, I understand banner ad targetting. I'd say my browsing habits have not changed.

My point was along what Cyro mentioned, have they silently upped their impressions in recent weeks? If so, it contradicts everything else we are seeing(inferring?) from WotC. If not, then my whole curiosity is a waste of time (PLAUSIBLE!)

Cyronax

Explorer
Dausuul, I understand banner ad targetting. I'd say my browsing habits have not changed.

My point was along what Cyro mentioned, have they silently upped their impressions in recent weeks? If so, it contradicts everything else we are seeing(inferring?) from WotC. If not, then my whole curiosity is a waste of time (PLAUSIBLE!)

For WotC's sake, let's hope its a conscious scheme.

digression/ Yeah, banner ads. Note, Enworld is now listed in Firefox's list of badware sites. In other words some of the banner ads on this site are malicious (or it could be someone's sig, etc). REALLY, get something like Noscript and use it. Haven't seen any non-static banners in several years, stuff loads way faster too without all the flash crap I don't need to see popping up. Helps some with all the nice spying adware too, google-analytics, no thanks! /digression Nice to see that they're actively pushing Essentials.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads