• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Red Star Rising: Commentary

The_Universe

First Post
AIM-54 said:
It's not so much that they see the Nazis as a non-threat, but rather that the powers that be are still organizing their supers resources in an allied fashion (rather than strictly on a nation-state basis) and at the moment, resources are stretched thin trying to deal with the Communist threat. The Greek civil war has only just ended, Italy is still struggling with its Communists, though its election went the "correct" way, at least partially due to Allied supers preventing Communist supers from successfully tampering with the populace, France is occupied in Indochina, there are rumblings in Korea, and the two China's issue remains fresh. The Nazis, from your report, seem occupied trying to complete the conquest of Atlantis and have, as yet, shown no particular interest in immediately sending forces back to the Earth dimension. Of course, your team is very likely to be sent there in the near future, but the politicos have to have their say, as well.
My personal argument would be, if it comes up, that the communists as yet seem unwilling or unable to openly oppose Allied forces on the world stage; the seeds of a strategic competition have certainly been sown, but the Communist idea of world domination (more akin to a world-wide class war) presents a far less immediate threat than the Nazis. The Nazis, after all, made a decent effort at conquering the globe even without power armor and Atlantean-derived super treatments. With a whole world, rather than merely a whole nation at the Nazis disposal, we must be extra wary.

These Nazis, I would point out, are not limited to any particular territorial area should they choose to open a front in the "real world." They may attack anywhere, at any time. Thus, they must be stopped on a battlefield of our choosing. Otherwise, we risk allowing who or whatever now leads the Nazis to choose it for us. Not a pleasant idea. Though I do not want to abandon the very real conflicts in the material world, we must either subdue the Nazis in Atlantis, or somehow isolate, destroy, and/or sever whatever planar gates still connect that world to ours.

I have no doubt that this latter option would be easier than single-handedly winning an extraplanar war. However, it is at best a temporary solution. Though we might isolate our Earth from Atlantis in the short term, the Nazis need only find a gateway to another plane that remains adjacent to ours, and then return here from there.

This, of course, begs the question - is isolating earth from ALL planes an option?

Atlantis has always been a separate dimension from Earth proper, but in the past the dimensional barriers between them were much thinner, allowing travel between them, generally through dimensional gates, of which two are known, one in the Mediterranean and one near Bermuda. As human civilization advanced, the Atlanteans saw the human thirst for knowledge and love of technology as a danger to their more environmentally aware (if you will) society and worked to strengthen the barrier between the two dimensions. Any unwanted or accidental crossings of the barrier were met with lethal force. The last likely interaction with the Atlanteans was in the mid-16th Century, though details are sketchy. Most likely it was the observation of a gate opening and a last Atlantean or group of Atlanteans departing Earth, perhaps after working to diminish human recollection of them.
Any idea what they were/are hiding? Perhaps we need to mount an expedition to a now-abandoned Atlantean outpost? Is there anything of potential use that could be gleaned from such a place?

From what you've gleaned, Atlanteans all tend to have some powers, allowing them to live comfortably both above and below water, though anything beyond that is somewhat rarer (I think I'm going to use the Atlantean template in the Mastermind's Manual as is for standard Atlanteans). Those with greater powers are also generally within the realm of natural powers (elemental control etc).
What capabilities does Nereus, our erstwhile ambassador, possess?

Atlantean society is based on an enlightened monarchical system. The royal family strongly exhibits super-characteristics, though not all of the Atlantean nobility are similarly blessed. Knowledge and philosophical thinking are among all Atlanteans favorite pastimes, though scientific experimentation is discouraged out of fear of what could result. The arrival of the techno-Nazis has certainly borne out the danger of such things for many Atlanteans. The middle and lower classes tend to be merchants/artisans or farmers/fisherman. There are strict rules guiding Atlantean agriculture to ensure harmony with the elements. Art and literature are particularly valued pursuits and class is no boundary to an Atlantean with talent in those areas.
Is there a warrior class of some sort? Any evidence of a resistence against the invaders? Harmonious ideals aside, we will likely need allies if we're to prosecute this war in relative isolation.

The_Universe

First Post
AIM-54 said:
Here's a map of Atlantis. It differs from my original description in-game, but this will trump that.
Where, approximately, were we on the map when we followed the blimp in? Approximately how much of that territory is controlled by the Nazis? How much by the Atlanteans? Is there a significant part of the population that lives entirely under water, with no land-based presence? Is there evidence of any other land-masses on the plane? Is it a planetary sphere, or large islands floating on an endless sea?

The_Universe

First Post
I recall mentioning the military liaisons in the first session, but it's no surprise that has been forgotten. For clarity I'll describe it here. You, as well as other supers, have been assembled by the allied nations, and NATO members in particular (though Germany is not a member yet), as a way to maximize responses to Soviet activity. You are each considered part of your home nations forces (most have some military background, even if its science related, and all have been put under government authority) sent to The Castle as part of putting together an allied face to Soviet aggression, particularly that involving supers. Now, NATO is a new organization, so it's a bit of an experiment. You are beholden to your countries leaders, elected or otherwise, but at the moment are serving under the Supreme Allied Commander Europe. He is the ultimate military commander, though the various NATO member heads of state wield power above him.

Excellent. I know my Liaison is listed below, but do I ultimately answer to another British Authority? Or is Dr. Wesson-Smythe my main contact? So I have a contact in the Home Office, or perhaps MOD?

NATO Heads of State
|
SACEUR
|
Various military commands including NATO Supers Command (NATOSUCOM)

NATOSUCOM is a great organizational name, by the way. Good stuff.

NATOSUCOM is commanded by Dr. Ian Wesson-Smythe, because of his long experience with supers. Under him are the liaison officers: Colonel Richard Bennett (USA), Colonel Marcel Devereaux (French Army), Colonel John Roberts (British Army), Colonel David Rickenbacker (Canadian Army), Colonel Guiseppe Amonte (Italy), Colonel Henrik Van Nostrum (Netherlands), Colonel Francois Dumont (Belgium), Colonel Ivar Christensen (Norway), Marcos Silveira (Portugal), who basically run daily operations and serve as a link between the supers and their governments. At the moment there aren't enough teams to warrant their being a link to the commander, thus your meetings with Wesson-Smythe. As more teams are stood up, the liaisons will likely play a larger role.

Most of the supers above are natural-born, right? Are any of the more mundane intelligence authorities tracking who these supers marry/couple with? Looking for other "spontaneous" super births? If someone's not on that already, it seems to me that someone should be - I can't imagine that Supers production will rapidly decline, now.

In case I haven't adequately addressed it, let me emphasize that my understanding is that every player has a government connection military or otherwise, which has led to their being assigned to this position by that individual government. That government can choose to move you elsewhere (Miss Placer could be reassigned to her scientific work for example). Whether any character has any loyalty to any particular government is a different matter.
I am, of course, fanatically loyal to Britannia!

Sure. I'd love to hear some of your (collective) ideas on the matter.

I don't have anything yet. I am, however, looking forward to more answers!

BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP

Remove ads