Redbadge's Campaign (there will be spoilers)

Isklexi

First Post
It turned out really well considering the party's track record with hostage situations (Bellicose will never live that down).

I'm also planning on tweaking encounters going forward. I've noticed in 4e that combat encounters can really start to drag on. It's not an issue with your encounter design; it's an issue with how combat in 4e is set up. Each individual turn can end up taking a while as each player tries to figure out what to do with every minor/move/standard plus reactions to maximize their action economy.

I'm thinking of halving the health of all enemies going forward except boss fights. This will let the players that tricked out their characters for combat feel really powerful (folks like Kirk and Maddox) while letting players that focused on other aspects feel like they can meaningfully contribute to most fights (like Irony). Right now, Irony misses more often and deals less damage than the other players, and she gets bored during the combat encounters pretty quickly while the combat characters make 3+ attacks every turn. This way the combat characters will still crush enemies in combat, but Irony will (hopefully) be more engaged during combat when she can contribute more meaningful amounts of damage.

addendum: I'd also boost the damage of most enemies to compensate for the lower HP pool. It should make fights shorter but more intense. That would also make Irony's healing more pertinent in most fights.

Last edited:

Isklexi

First Post
Plot Ex Machina

Amongst Tinker’s schematics and belongings, the constables found a strange metal orb. Though it radiated strong magic, they were unable to decipher its function or purpose. Rai held on to the orb for safekeeping. Tinker and Lya were delivered to high security cells in the RHC headquarters in Flint and Slate respectively. The constables further questioned Tinker about the golem and Grappa. Tinker confirmed that Grappa had survived the conflict at Cauldron Hill by implanting his mind into Leone Quital. The constables and the king decided that Tinker would be useful in advancing Risur’s technology. After sifting through Tinker’s notes, the constables voted on which line of research they wanted Tinker to pursue. After some arguing, the vote came out in favor of electricity, Tinker’s name for harnessing lightning.

GM: Irony formed a voting coalition for technology that could improve the life of Risuri citizens. As the team’s demolitions expert, Maddox tried unsuccessfully to rally support for improved explosives. I’m hoping these votes don’t become too contentious going forward. I decided not to reveal what each line of research would result in. I simply described what each research avenue was about. I think it adds a bit of verisimilitude to the choice in that researchers often don’t know their efforts will result in over time.

Rai had an unusual experience following the team’s return to Flint. The night after their return, Rai had a strange dream. In the dream, he saw a tall, gaunt figure wearing a hooded robe that asked the question, “What do you wish to know above all else?” After some contemplation, Rai told the robed figure he wished to know how to bring peace to Lanjyr. An overwhelming amount of information flooded into Rai’s mind, and he woke suddenly from the dream. He couldn’t quite remember the knowledge imparted by the dream, but he found he was holding Tinker’s orb even though it had been stowed in his packs the night before. He’s certain that if he can just spend more time with the orb it will reveal its secrets to him.

GM: Rai ended up being in possession of Tinker’s orb. I gave the orb some more background and changed its name from Godmind Urn to Akashic Orb. I’m tying the orb more into events that happened before the Ancient Orc Empire (I really need to think of a name for that civilization). I don’t have the time to make a campaign of my own from scratch, so Zeitgeist is giving me the opportunity to slot in a lot of my ideas.

The next item on the constables’ list was interrogating Lya Jierre in Slate. Like Grappa, Lya was subject to a geas spell that prevented her from divulging the conspiracy’s secrets. Harkover Lee attempted to break the enchantment, but was shocked to discover the spell was beyond his ability to counter. This in itself was new information on the Obscurati in that they have the service of at least one phenomenally powerful spellcaster. Lya freely told the constables that the Ob’s goal was to make the world a better place and usher in an era of peace. The constables knew Lya wasn’t lying thanks to the divinations placed on the interrogation room, but that information did little to assuage the constables given it made no mention of how the Ob intended to usher in this new era. Lya then encouraged them to use the strange syringe they had found in her possession. She claimed the silvery substance inside was called needlewire and would allow them to contact the leader of the Obscurati, a person called Nicodemus the Gnostic. The constables had tried to use divination to determine how the needlewire functioned, but its combination of alchemy and obscure magic made it impossible to determine precisely what it did without destroying the only sample they had.

The dilemma of who to use the needlewire on took time to discuss. The constables immediately ruled out using it on Lya as they had no way of knowing if it could provide her with some means of escape. Irony had the strongest willpower out of the constables, but she already played host to Xambria’s spirit and wasn’t sure how that might complicate the situation. They eventually settled on having Doran use the needlewire. While Doran was far from the most willful member of the party, he’d trained his mind to be dangerous to foes that tried to assault it since their encounter with the Gidim wayfarer Sijhen. They used an interrogation room with several divination spells at the ready and bound Doran to a chair just in case.

Once Doran was injected, the divinations they’d prepared revealed how the needlewire worked. It used alchemical sedatives to incapacitate the host, and then generated a magical summoning beacon that allowed long-range contact with an unknown party. The needlewire effectively allowed Nicodemus to magically possess the user from anywhere on the planet. The constables found themselves speaking to the leader of the conspiracy. Nicodemus repeated Lya’s assertion that the Ob fought to bring peace to the world, and he assured them the transition would be as non-violent as possible. When confronted with the murders associated with the Ob’s activities, Nicodemus told them that the path to a better future is replete with difficulties and those unwilling to relinquish power through fear. He told them that the future they fight for is worth the sacrifices they’ve had to make. When the constables pointed out the chaos left in the wake of Borne, Nicodemus chastised the constables for interfering claiming that without their meddling Borne would have been deployed away from Flint without the citizens of the city ever being aware of the giant golem. He told the constables that continued interference would only result in more wasted lives. Nicodemus refused to reveal any details of the conspiracy’s plans as the constables were obviously working at cross-purposes. Kirk told him they might be willing to join the Ob if they knew more about their plans. Nicodemus told them they would have to earn his trust, starting by releasing Lya unconditionally. He told them he would be in touch once they released Lya and severed his connection to Doran.

The constables had learned that their foe could wear literally anyone’s face, and their divinations further detected an immense amount of divine and necromantic magic emanating from Nicodemus. Unfortunately, Doran had a much more troubling revelation for the other constables. Nicodemus had forcibly rifled through Doran’s memories while possessing him. Clearly, Nicodemus had considered any possible information to be gained was well worth the pain inflicted by Doran’s mental defenses. The constables decided against freeing Lya for now and began investigating ways of locating Leone Quital now that they knew he had survived. Irony, troubled by the power and mysterious nature of their opponent, decided on her own to consult with another expert occultist, Calaphax.

Irony found Cal tending to his flower garden in Bosum Strand. The constables had thus far tolerated Cal’s presence because he had always been helpful, but they remained wary of his motives and infernal origins. Irony asked Cal what he knew about the Obscurati and their leader, Nicodemus. Cal told her that they were a relatively recent phenomenon, having appeared since his last visit to Lanjyr 500 years ago. He also told her they were apparently fans of obscure historical figures. When Irony asked what he meant, he told her that Nicodemus was the name of a rebellious monk who tried to defy the Clergy and died during the Great Malice. When Irony mentioned that Nicodemus had radiated powerful necromantic magic, Calaphax appeared momentarily troubled before dismissing the notion that it could be the same Nicodemus. He told her that the real Nicodemus had tried to change the world and failed. Now the Obscurati were trying to change the world. It would be up to Irony and the other constables whether the world changed according to the Ob’s plan or their own, whether they could succeed where the original Nicodemus had failed. He then told her that he would be visiting each of the constables in the coming weeks to discuss the future.

GM: There was a ton of new information flying around in the post adventure wrap up for this one. The players got to chat with not one but two highly unreliable exposition fairies (Nic and Cal). Nic plundering Doran’s memories for information will compromise the PCs from the start of the next adventure, but I probably won’t change too much. I may just increase the difficulty of some of the encounters and have more ambushes. Nicodemus is pretty arrogant, so I don’t think he would actually tell Leone about Grappa’s spirit. Instead, he’ll try to use Leone/Grappa as a trap for the constables. Grappa’s plan (if they pull it off) would still allow them to crash the Ob’s convocation because of how it foils divinations. They’ll probably need to coach Grappa on lying though.

I’m walking a fine line with Cal’s exposition. I don’t want him spoiling surprises later in the campaign, but it also doesn’t make sense for him to be uninformed. Instead, I’ve relied on Cal either subtly lying or omitting information for his own purposes. I want the players to feel like they can ask him question without him constantly saying “I don’t want to tell you” or worse “lol idk”. There is still a gap of 500 years in Cal’s knowledge of events on Lanjyr, so he doesn’t know about most of the Ob’s activities anyway. For now, I rely on Cal either not knowing key details or spinning them to his advantage to try and influence the constables. The one on one meetings he has with the players will be posted in spoiler tags because the players have elected not to tell each other what they talked with him about.

Isklexi

First Post
Docker’s Date with the Devil

Cal contacted each of the constables, offering to meet them at a location of their choice. Doran decided to meet Calaphax at the Thinking Man’s Tavern.

[sblock]They shared drinks while listening to the amateur philosophers pontificate. After some idle banter about the constables’ exploits in Ber, Cal told Doran that a more serious discussion would require some privacy. With that, everyone else in the building froze in place as though time had stopped. Doran wasn’t impressed and demanded to know what the fiend wanted. Calaphax answered Doran’s question with one of his own, “what do you intend to do with your power?” He told Doran that, unlike the Dockers and career students in the tavern, he actually had the power to change the world. He asked Doran if he would continue to champion the Dockers’ cause or someday abandon them as most figures of authority in Flint already had. Doran told Cal that he would never abandon his friends. Cal then asked Doran if he would be willing to champion the causes of the common folk forever.

Calaphax told Doran that he wanted to offer him the only true form of immortality, existence as a fiend. The deal was quite simple. Doran would be free to live his mortal life however he pleased, and once he died from age or battle, his soul would travel to Baator whereupon he would be reborn as a devil or demon depending on his own temperaments. Doran was immediately suspicious and retorted he didn’t intend to become Cal’s slave in hell. Cal assured him that once he was reborn he would be free to pursue any agenda he chose. Doran was not the first person Cal had made this offer to. Cal told Doran that he’d “adopted” several children from Lanjyr over the millennia. Doran remained highly skeptical. Cal told him he didn’t have to make a decision right away but he should contemplate that this was the only real way to ensure there would always be someone looking out for those less fortunate.
[/sblock]

Isklexi

First Post
The Gunsmith’s Legacy

Bellicose chose to meet with Calaphax in his workshop at his family’s gun shop.

[sblock]Cal asked Bellicose what he planned to do with his life. Bellicose told him that he wanted to leave the world a better place and secure his family’s legacy. His family had fled Danor a few generations ago to escape political adversaries and had established a small gun shop in Flint. Cal told Bellicose he could watch over his family’s legacy and help improve the world forever. He offered Bellicose true immortality, as a fiend.

The bargain was straightforward. Bellicose would live out his mortal life as normal, but when he died, his soul would go to Cal’s barony in Baator. There he would be reborn as a devil or demon depending on his inclinations, and he would be free to pursue is own agenda from then on. When Bellicose asked why he was making such a generous offer, Cal told him that he too was seeking to preserve his own legacy on this world by ensuring its future. After some consideration, Bellicose accepted Calaphax’s offer.
[/sblock]

Isklexi

First Post
The Bugbear’s Past

Maddox decided to meet with Calaphax in an upscale restaurant in Bosum Strand.

[sblock]During the dinner, Cal asked if Maddox still had trouble remembering his past. Maddox had originally been human until a mission in the Anthras Mountains had left him gravely injured, a different species, and without any clear memories of what had happened. Maddox still couldn’t remember what happened, and Cal offered to show him. Cal showed him a vision from those forgotten moments.

He was running through a dark place, a cave. There was someone else there. Someone he was trying to rescue? He stopped and turned to face their pursuers, a group of armed Bugbears (bandits or smugglers maybe?). A brief struggle ensued. He managed to take down some of the bandits, but they overwhelmed him. The largest Bugbear grabbed him by the throat and lifted him off the ground. Maddox spat in his face and let a handful of grenade pins fall from his clenched fist. Everything is drowned out by light and noise. As the light fades he sees another human face hovering over him, Wolfgang von Recklinghausen. “You’ve saved my life this day, and I will do the same.”

As the disjointed images faded, Cal told Maddox he probably should have kept a closer eye on the good doctor. Wolfgang was quite good at disappearing. Cal revealed that Maddox was a chimera (not the three headed kind), a creature stitched together from multiple individuals. Cal said Lanjyr needed heroes to protect it, and he could offer Maddox a way to continue protecting his country and the world.

Cal offered to make Maddox truly immortal by making him a fiend. After Maddox lived out his mortal life, he would be reborn in hell as a devil or demon. Maddox balked at the idea, pointing out that Clergy doctrine described damned souls as being tortured to the point of losing all trace of their past existence before becoming the most wretched and lowly fiends. Cal assured him that this method circumvented the normal process, and he would retain all of his memories and personality. Maddox didn’t accept Cal’s offer, and Cal told him the offer was still on the table if he ever changed his mind.
[/sblock]

Isklexi

First Post
Heir to the Burning Mountain

Rai chose to meet Calaphax at the devil’s own manor in North Shore.

[sblock]Cal immediately asked Rai what question he had asked of the Akashic Orb. Rai told him, and Cal quickly scoffed at his choice. He told Rai that the only path to peace was power. Only unparalleled power would allow a person to protect anyone they care for by annihilating anyone that opposes them. To illustrate his point, Cal told Rai a story.

Once there was a kingdom blessed by the gods with sacred protectors. The people of this kingdom know only peace. One day, a terrible monster fell from the skies, a creature called Vezzuvu the Burning Mountain. The kingdom’s protectors weren’t strong enough to stop the monster, and the people prayed day and night for salvation. Eventually, the gods intervened and vanquished the beast, but the kingdom and its entire population were already dead.

The moral of the story is that you can’t depend on someone else to protect you. The only way to stop monsters from taking everything you care about is to be the biggest monster yourself. Cal revealed that the story was true and had happened on Lanjyr long ago during the Dawn War between the gods and primordials. Vezzuvu had been a primordial bent on wiping out all mortal life. Rai rebutted that he didn’t intend to become a monster at all. Cal chuckled and told him he didn’t have a choice. Rai’s elemental power was the legacy left behind by Vezzuvu; when it died on Lanjyr, Vezzuvu’s essence seeped into the land and was kept dormant until now. Rai would inherit all of Vezzuvu’s power in time. Cal told Rai that he should give serious thought to how he would wield this power because it was his inheritance whether he wanted it or not.
[/sblock]

Isklexi

First Post
Whither the Crown

Kirk met Calaphax in his office at the RHC’s headquarters in Flint.

[sblock]Calaphax asked Kirk what he thought of King Aodhan. Kirk told Cal that he was staunchly loyal to the king and supported his decisions. Cal pointed out that King Aodhan was getting old, and someone else would need to accede throne soon. Kirk angrily told Calaphax he would never betray his king and wouldn’t stand idly by while a devil plotted his downfall. Cal merely smiled and told Kirk that he had it all wrong. Risur’s crown traditionally goes to a warrior powerful enough to cow the primal titans by force. Aodhan’s strength was on the wane, and it was only a matter of time before he stepped down. Kirk merely had to bide his time and be prepared for when the time came. After all, he wanted what was best for the kingdom didn’t he? What better way to ensure that Risur is led in the right direction than by leading it himself?[/sblock]

Isklexi

First Post
Requiem for a Goddess

Irony met with Calaphax at the Navras Opera for a showing of “The Marriage of Achaea and Hibiscus”.

[sblock]Calaphax asked Irony why she continued to place her faith in a dead god. Irony responded that it was about having faith in what Srasama represented and staying true to her beliefs. Cal pointed out that Srasama had failed the Eladrin and brought their people to ruin with her final act. Irony retorted that faith is what helped keep her people from dying out entirely.

Cal then asked her what she knew of the Clergy Godhands. He explained that before they were repurposed to hunt her people, the Godhands were charged with hunting down the remnants of the Demonocracy and ensuring they would never harm mortals again. Specifically, when a fiend is slain, its soul doesn’t return to hell. Instead, the befouled spirit seeps into the land and corrupts it. For this reason, the Clergy Godhands were trained in containing and sealing away the spirits of the former fiendish lords. The same principle applies to the divine as well as the profane. When Srasama died, her essence and power seeped into Lanjyr. The immortal Devas were one symptom of her lingering essence and another manifestation of the dead goddess’ power was Irony herself.

Irony asked what Cal meant, and he told her. Irony was born with a spark of the dead goddess’ power within her. As her power grows, the spark would grow with her, and the scattered remnants of Srasama’s essence would be drawn to her. With time and effort, Irony could replace her fallen deity. Irony dismissed Cal by glibly saying that being a god sounded like an awful lot of work. Cal told her it was a lot of work, but Irony’s people needed her and no one else could do it. He told her to keep all of this in mind and be ready to seize her opportunity when it comes.
[/sblock]

Isklexi

First Post
Foreshadowing

That's all of the meetings with Cal between adventures. I used them as a vehicle to ask each player what they envisioned for their characters in the future and set up some options for epic destinies later on. We've already started the next adventure, although they haven't left Flint yet. I'll start posting what they've done so far soon.

Remove ads