D&D 5E Redoing existing monsters?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Not only do I do this all the time, I share them on HOW-I-RUN-IT.com.

I am the opposite, however, in that I give out more resistances and immunities and give all monsters a pair of proficient saves. I do specifically tie lore to abilities and re-write RAW abilities when I don't like how they work in this edition (for example, a troll's regeneration).

Quickleaf

Legend

I am the opposite, however, in that I give out more resistances and immunities and give all monsters a pair of proficient saves. I do specifically tie lore to abilities and re-write RAW abilities when I don't like how they work in this edition (for example, a troll's regeneration).
Interesting! How did you change the troll's regeneration?

What’s your issue with Troll regen?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'm really liking that revised Peryton, much scarier and unique as a monster than the original 5e version.

I've been thinking about monster design for 5e and, given that I've been playing a lot of Midnight Suns, I'm thinking of adding in things from there. Some effects grant resistance to damage or conditions, the ability to counter-attack, or block (essentially temporary hit points). I'm thinking that these things might make combat a little more tactical as players learn which enemies do what and choose who to take out first.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Interesting! How did you change the troll's regeneration?
What’s your issue with Troll regen?

Well, this how it is written.
Regeneration. The troll regains 10 hit points at the start of its turn. If the troll takes acid or fire damage, this trait doesn't function at the start of the troll's next turn. The troll dies only if it starts its turn with 0 hit points and doesn't regenerate.
What I don't like about it is that the fire or acid damage done in a turn means it can't regenerate again until the turn after next, which means all the damage it takes in the mean time is just like any other monster making them a lot less of a challenge if you ask me and it is something to remember a round and a half later or more so it easy to mess up.

I want it to be a lot harder to kill a troll.

So this is how I rewrote it:

Regeneration. The troll regains 10 hit points at the start of its turn even when at 0 hps. Acid or fire damage is subtracted both from its current and maximum hit points and cannot be regenerated. It can only heal such damage after a long rest. A troll only dies when its maximum hit points are brought to 0 or if 15 or more points of fire or acid damage are dealt to it while its current hit points are at 0.

You can read my whole take on trolls here.

Well, this how it is written.

What I don't like about it is that the fire or acid damage done in a turn means it can't regenerate again until the turn after next, which means all the damage it takes in the mean time is just like any other monster making them a lot less of a challenge if you ask me and it is something to remember a round and a half later or more so it easy to mess up.

I want it to be a lot harder to kill a troll.

So this is how I rewrote it:

You can read my whole take on trolls here.
Ahh yes. I hate this, it just seems annoying to deal with. Also their regeneration is definitely not weakened compared to prior editions.

I think adding the Rend Ability is enough.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Ahh yes. I hate this, it just seems annoying to deal with. Also their regeneration is definitely not weakened compared to prior editions.

I think adding the Rend Ability is enough.

Mind Your Own Business Whatever GIF by Rooster Teeth

Remove ads