Regarding the Life of Threads

And so it came to pass that on the 14th day of the on the 3rd month and 6th year after the birth of this unholy thread did I, AntiStateQuixote, threadnecromancer extraordinaire, bend the laws of nature to once again cause the undying beast to tread forth from the depths of time and threaten the sanity of nerds everywhere.
Nooo! July 8th is your sacred day. It's too soon, tooo sooooon...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
.... cause the undying beast to tread forth from the depths of time and threaten the sanity of nerds everywhere.

Piffle.
Piffle, I say.

This site's old enough to get threads 20+ years old coming back to life. Five or six years old hardly bears mentioning.

Now, if you can get a thread from before the Great Database Crash of 2002 to come back, that'd really bake someone's noodle.

Thomas Shey

Legend
What I've always thought was "fun" was opening an interesting looking thread someone has necroed, responding to a post, then realizing the post was five or ten years old and even if the poster is still at the board, they may well have completely changed their views by now. In a few cases I didn't realize that was what I'd done until after two-or-three back-and-forths with new participants...

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I guess it doesn't bother me all that much. Every time someone yells about "thread necromancy!" I usually shrug and think to myself, "who cares?"

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I guess it doesn't bother me all that much. Every time someone yells about "thread necromancy!" I usually shrug and think to myself, "who cares?"

Yelling about thread necromancy is a bit silly.

Informing the relatively new poster that they are unlikely to get response because the person they are responding to hasn't posted for 5 years, however, is a reasonable thing.

Meech17

Adventurer
I'm a relatively new member here on EnWorld, but one of the first things I noticed was the fact that people didn't really seem to care about Necroposts. I was really surprised to see several posts on the front page being months or even years old and still active because new information came up. I think it's a good attitude.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Yelling about thread necromancy is a bit silly.

Informing the relatively new poster that they are unlikely to get response because the person they are responding to hasn't posted for 5 years, however, is a reasonable thing.

In a few cases I've seen old threads where I don't think I've seen any of the participants anywhere otherwise, so I question whether the whole old thread participant set is gone.

Remove ads