D&D 5E Regenerate cheese

faria

First Post
So I'm reading the Regenerate spell and it says any creature you touch regains 1HP at the start of its turn. The spell lasts an hour and doesn't require concentration. So any time they fall unconscious, they get back up immediately...

Am I the only one who sees the how broken and amazing this is? Basically, you can't lose a fight unless you take enough damage to actually die, not just fall unconscious. Every time you fall unconscious, you just get back up at the start of your next turn and can attack again. It's like the Terminator...

Am I missing something or is this the most mechanically optimal and broken spell out there? Can go Druid/Sorc (or Bard/Sorc with Magical Secrets) and Twin it for double the cheese...

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I was about to say that failed death saving throws don't go away until a short or long rest so it won't make much of a difference, then I remembered that's just a houserule I play by.

It's good for yoyo-ing from 0 to 1, but not much else from the looks. Or maybe out of combat healing.

Rhogar_Rarr

First Post
If you get hit 2-3 times while at 0 you're still dead, as the hits give you failed death saves. You may get back up once, but any moderately intelligent creatures will make sure you stay down next time. Or if you take damage from being face down in a fire or from an AoE spell, ect. Taking damage still gives you failed saves.

But otherwise, yes it is a good spell.

mellored

Legend
it's a pretty high level spell, so yea, it's supposed to be good.

But as pointed out, you can still die from a multi-attack. Which is not uncommon at high levels.

1 hit to knock you out.
1 hit -> crit -> 2 failed saves.
1 hit -> crit -> dead.

Also, i don't think you can twin it, it might be too high of a level to get both the spell and sorcerer points.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
If you get hit 2-3 times while at 0 you're still dead, as the hits give you failed death saves. You may get back up once, but any moderately intelligent creatures will make sure you stay down next time. Or if you take damage from being face down in a fire or from an AoE spell, ect. Taking damage still gives you failed saves.

But otherwise, yes it is a good spell.

I would think a moderately intelligent creature would be targeting the character that picked you up to make sure he can't just keep doing that. After they see you pop up once they wont be so sure that knocking you down again will keep you there.

So I'm reading the Regenerate spell and it says any creature you touch regains 1HP at the start of its turn. The spell lasts an hour and doesn't require concentration. So any time they fall unconscious, they get back up immediately...

Am I the only one who sees the how broken and amazing this is? Basically, you can't lose a fight unless you take enough damage to actually die, not just fall unconscious. Every time you fall unconscious, you just get back up at the start of your next turn and can attack again. It's like the Terminator...

Am I missing something or is this the most mechanically optimal and broken spell out there? Can go Druid/Sorc (or Bard/Sorc with Magical Secrets) and Twin it for double the cheese...

It's good because of the no concentration requirement, but I want to point out two things:

(1) Bards don't need to use Magical Secrets to get Regeneration--it is already on their spell list.
(2) Any popup healing that can be done with Regeneration works equally well with Healing Word (1st level) or Aura of Vitality (3rd level, lasts for one minute).

As others have said, the primary risk is that multiattacks or multiple creatures will burn through your death saves. Secondary risks include the possibility of a crit against your unconscious form doing enough damage to insta-kill you, and the fact that you're going to start every turn prone (because Regenerate does not stand you back up after you fall).

Rhogar_Rarr

First Post
I would think a moderately intelligent creature would be targeting the character that picked you up to make sure he can't just keep doing that. After they see you pop up once they wont be so sure that knocking you down again will keep you there.

I'd figured they'd see a guy get back up from the brink, but still look pretty shaky (wounded/low HP). They take him down quick again and stab him a couple extra times to make sure his pulse stopped for good this time. Your scenario above also assume they know not only that is a magical effect, but where it is coming from. They might not know if it's a magical item or if they have a caster in the party. After all, a druid could look pretty similar to a number of classes, especially factoring in backgrounds. Of course, they'll probably notice once the caster starts waving their hands around in combat. Another thing to keep in mind is that this spell doesn't require concentration, so taking the caster down will not end its effects (Not like the creatures know that much though).

But in general I do agree, if an intelligent group of creatures notices a caster in the party, they will probably want to take them down.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Boy, was I ever misled by the title of this thread!

I was thinking about a magical foodstuff. Maybe the greatest treasure in all Mousedom. Alas, but no.

Remove ads