• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reimagining class roles?

xjermx

First Post
I wonder if anyone has considered reimagining the class roles.

I could easily see a campaign featuring a Defender style fighter along with a Striker fighter, and a controller rogue! Certainly not all of the classes make easy transitions to other roles, and I'm not proposing doing it "willy nilly", but it seems like an interesting way to mix it up a bit for some of the classes.

I imagine that this would take a little tweaking of HP and numbers, and alot of tweaking of Powers. But it seems do-able.

Mort_Q

First Post
If I were to go through the trouble, I'd eliminate classes while I was at it.

Make new powers organized by power source, and divided into roles.

Arcane Controller Powers
Arcane Defender Powers
Arcane Striker Powers
Arcane Leader Powers
etc.
etc.

HP based on role.

dasheiff

First Post
Mort_Q said:
If I were to go through the trouble, I'd eliminate classes while I was at it.

Make new powers organized by power source, and divided into roles.

Arcane Controller Powers
Arcane Defender Powers
Arcane Striker Powers
Arcane Leader Powers
etc.
etc.

HP based on role.

Brilliant, we could then give each one of these combinations a name.

Arcane Controller = Wizard
Arcane Defender = Psyic Warrior
Arcane Striker = Warlock
Arcane Leader = Warlord

Ah, but we can only dream of a this classless system.

Mort_Q

First Post
Sarcasm aside, it's the labels/names that cause most of the problems. Leave them off.

Players choose a power source, and can mix and match roles as they see fit. If they want another power source, it'll cost a feat or two.

I'm not saying it's worth it... I'm just saying that if I was going to re-imagine classes with different roles.... I'd just do away with classes.

dasheiff

First Post
To be honest I just see power sources as flavor. But yes I do agree basicly just choosing defender|striker|controller|leader and getting good abilities from your main and then okay from one other certainly is okay, and probally a better way to do it. To be honest 4.0 has too much flavor build into the mechanics. We can come up with our own reasons why this trips, slows, or blinds.

Remove ads