Reincarnate: Raise dead for 1000 gp!

Jack Simth

First Post
Scion said:
But of course I was talking about the other part of his comment.

Still though, one could argue that limited wish would be cheaper in some ways. Especially if you cannot cast 8th level spells yet.

Also note the smiley :p
Actually, it wouldn't; even ignoring the XP cost of Limited Wish, there's a note under Limited Wish that if it duplicates a spell with a material component worth more than 1,000 gp, you must provide that component - and Raise Dead needs 5,000 gp worth of diamonds.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
If you don't mind the level loss, just roll up a new character. If your campaign is like most, the new character comes back one level lower. It's like reincarnate for free, plus you can change your race, feats and classes to whatever you like.

Thanee

First Post
Cheiromancer said:
If you don't mind the level loss, just roll up a new character. If your campaign is like most, the new character comes back one level lower. It's like reincarnate for free, plus you can change your race, feats and classes to whatever you like.

...and there is some extra free equipment, too! :p

Some people just like their characters, tho...

Bye
Thanee

moritheil

First Post
Scion said:
There are different kinds of costs. Hence my comments.

So yes, in some ways one could argue it is cheaper in one way or the other.

Referring to:

Jack Smith said:
. . . you must provide that component - and Raise Dead needs 5,000 gp worth of diamonds.

:uhoh:

I don't think he's saying that there are different kinds of costs - he's saying that you still need to pay the original cost. So I don't know if you can argue that it's cheaper.

moritheil

First Post
Scion said:
As I stated just one of several potential ways in my post I will assume you just missed it.

1st post - talks about reincarnate making a body

2nd post - talks about limited wish
But of course I was talking about the other part of his comment.

Still though, one could argue that limited wish would be cheaper in some ways. Especially if you cannot cast 8th level spells yet.

Also note the smiley

3rd post - vague mention of different kinds of costs
There are different kinds of costs. Hence my comments.

So yes, in some ways one could argue it is cheaper in one way or the other.

Yes, I missed it. In fact, I don't even see it going back this time either.

Scion

First Post
moritheil said:
Yes, I missed it. In fact, I don't even see it going back this time either.

There are quite a few different ways, you just have to think outside of the box ;)

First off, limited wish can duplicate effects such as revivify. Which means that if you act quickly enough it can happen rapidly and for much less cost. given the extra cost some dm's may even be persuaded to extend the amount of time in which you can do this (which would make sense, given the potential extra cost and duplicating of a higher level effect)

Secondly, one may not have access to 8th level spells (this is the one I previously mentioned). You may not be able to find a spellcaster strong enough, if you can they might not have the spell, if they do they may not be willing to do it for you, even after all that they might just charge much more than what the dmg normally says.

Thirdly, eh, I am sure you and others can think up other situations where the overal 'cost' is less. It just depends on what you have to go through. The above are going by the general guidelines of the game (the game I am in currently limited wish would be infinately easier than clone, for campaign specific reasons).

Easy enough. There are different ways of getting the same result. Sometimes one is better than the other, depending on the situation.

Last edited:

moritheil

First Post
Scion said:
There are quite a few different ways, you just have to think outside of the box ;)

First off, limited wish can duplicate effects such as revivify. Which means that if you act quickly enough it can happen rapidly and for much less cost. given the extra cost some dm's may even be persuaded to extend the amount of time in which you can do this (which would make sense, given the potential extra cost and duplicating of a higher level effect)

Secondly, one may not have access to 8th level spells (this is the one I previously mentioned). You may not be able to find a spellcaster strong enough, if you can they might not have the spell, if they do they may not be willing to do it for you, even after all that they might just charge much more than what the dmg normally says.

Thirdly, eh, I am sure you and others can think up other situations where the overal 'cost' is less. It just depends on what you have to go through. The above are going by the general guidelines of the game (the game I am in currently limited wish would be infinately easier than clone, for campaign specific reasons).

Easy enough. There are different ways of getting the same result. Sometimes one is better than the other, depending on the situation.

Okay, I thought you meant reasons that you had explicitly stated that I missed, which caused me to say, "I didn't see them and I still don't see them, so yes, I missed them."

What is the "revivify" effect? Is that separate from Raise Dead? I take it that's a yes, because you don't seem to be bothered by JS's comment that you need to pay for expensive material components for duplicated spell effects.

No access - well, he assumed access. If you're going to tell him his assumption is flawed, I'm not going to stop you.

Situations where the "cost" is less - can you give me an example? Here's mine, which actually happened: The party is friends with an NPC cleric who Raised someone for them for free since they helped him out once. It still involved use of Raise Dead . . . and it's not like it didn't cost *someone* the money, it just didn't cost *the party* the money.

Remove ads