Reincarnate: Raise dead for 1000 gp!

Lobo Lurker

First Post
Hmm, you're overlooking the Roleplaying aspects I think:

Raise Dead - You come back from the dead; slightly worse for wear.
Ressurection - You come back from the dead; just as you left, but completely hale.

Reincarnate - You come back from the dead... but not in your body. *You* are technically dead, but your spirit resides in another physical vessal. Lots of roleplaying hooks here.
Break Enchantment - This idea is absurd. Sometimes the DM needs to call fiat and impose logic on an inherently illogical game. You've reincarnated. You are you. The body you're in belongs to you. Reincarnate isn't an ongoing magical effect.

Clone - You do not come back from the dead. Someone who happens to *think* that they are you achieves sentience. Your soul is still out in the ether, waiting to come back while this impostor goes about pursuing (or not) your plans.

Thoughts? Opinions?

moritheil

First Post
Lobo Lurker said:
Clone - You do not come back from the dead. Someone who happens to *think* that they are you achieves sentience. Your soul is still out in the ether, waiting to come back while this impostor goes about pursuing (or not) your plans.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I don't think this is accurate - doesn't 3.5 Clone imply that your soul is drawn into the cloned body and thus you are the original you?

Jack Simth

First Post
It does not imply; it states:
SRD said:
If the original individual has been slain, its soul immediately transfers to the clone, creating a replacement (provided that the soul is free and willing to return). The original’s physical remains, should they still exist, become inert and cannot thereafter be restored to life.
and
SRD said:
A duplicate can be grown while the original still lives, or when the original soul is unavailable, but the resulting body is merely a soulless bit of inert flesh, which rots if not preserved.
It's fairly clear on that point; you can't take a bit of living flesh from Joe Fighter, and Clone him, and have two Joe Fighter's to back you up.

Scion

First Post
Jack Simth said:
I
andIt's fairly clear on that point; you can't take a bit of living flesh from Joe Fighter, and Clone him, and have two Joe Fighter's to back you up.

I thought I saw someone awhile back who put together a bunch of different things and actually 'did' wind up with extra people in the end.. something about turning undead and.. I dont remember.. but it was fun! ;)

Jack Simth

First Post
Revivify: there's one in the Expanded Psionics Handbook (and included in the SRD); the big drawbacks are:
1) It must be cast within one round of the target's death.
2) Costs XP (200 for one round; an extra 100 xp cost to both target and caster for every round beyond the first)
It's big bennifit? No level loss nor con loss to the target.

As a 5th level power, it's technically permissable under Limited Wish (under the "any other spell, provided it's not of a prohibited school)

Jack Simth

First Post
Scion said:
I thought I saw someone awhile back who put together a bunch of different things and actually 'did' wind up with extra people in the end.. something about turning undead and.. I dont remember.. but it was fun! ;)
Perhaps, but if so, that took a lot of effort, and couldn't be done with just the original Clone spell.

Perhaps if you were to kill someone, clone them, Animate the original body, and then Ressurect the Zombie .... but no, the soul wouldn't be free to return, as it's already around (in the clone).

moritheil

First Post
Scion said:

If you killed the clones and animated them into something that retained the look of the original, you'd have several guys running around that looked pretty similar.

(Of course, the guy that got cloned/killed would have considerable level loss.)

Jack Simth

First Post
Not necessarily; is an inert peice of flesh (which will rot if not preserved) qualify as a dead body? If so, you could clone the guy several times while he was still alive, then animate the clones without ever killing him at all.

But you still don't have two Joe Fighter's backing you up - one Joe Fighter, and one Joe Zombie

moritheil

First Post
Jack Simth said:
Not necessarily; is an inert peice of flesh (which will rot if not preserved) qualify as a dead body? If so, you could clone the guy several times while he was still alive, then animate the clones without ever killing him at all.

But you still don't have two Joe Fighter's backing you up - one Joe Fighter, and one Joe Zombie

Well, I was assuming you wanted actual fighters or something with skills. Can you make a vampire out of a clone and still have the cloning process continue?

Fieari

Explorer
If I recall correctly, (this might be wrong) the sequence went

Clone, Slay, Animate Dead, Awaken Undead.

The person who preposed it was roleplaying a wizard who was interested in seeing if it was possible to create a soul.

Remove ads