Rejection for DDI article isn't so bad

Delgar

First Post
I've always wanted to write an adventure for dungeon, but all the stuff I do in my home campaign is always so very campaign specific. Maybe I should sit down and come up with a really good paragon adventure. I don't suppose they'll print my dream sequence where my players killed Errandis d'Vol, and unwittingly made her a lich...

My wife had three articles published in dragon during it's 3rd edition reign, but has hung up her writing cap for the time being. :(

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I've always wanted to write an adventure for dungeon, but all the stuff I do in my home campaign is always so very campaign specific. Maybe I should sit down and come up with a really good paragon adventure. I don't suppose they'll print my dream sequence where my players killed Errandis d'Vol, and unwittingly made her a lich...

Could you scrub out the campaign specifics for a more generic plot? Instead of the PCs killing Erandis d'Vol, would the adventure suffer if they had to kill Evil Lady For This Adventure and unwittingly make her a lich? Unwittingly creating a generic lich might not have as heavy an impact as creating Erandis but it should evoke the intended reaction from the players.

Infiniti2000

First Post
I guess they figure they can add the good execution to a good hook.
And typically those are different people. So, someone who gets accepted with an awesome hook may not be the best person to flesh out the crunch. In fact, I would say usually not. Anyway, thanks for the thread, it's very helpful. :)

I am about to make my 3rd attempt. (First 2 where over a year ago). This time I have 13 article idea's in one letter. I will let you guys know what happens.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
I haven't submitted any for this window yet (but I have a list of ideas). I do agree though, that the new approach of personalized rejection letters is much more encouraging then the old black hole.

CasvalRemDeikun said:
I sent it during the last review cycle, so theoretically I would have been part of that review and comment commitment. If I don't get a response this time around, I will take that as a hint.

I might worry that it's getting lost somewhere in the process. Do you get the auto replies when you first send it?

And typically those are different people. So, someone who gets accepted with an awesome hook may not be the best person to flesh out the crunch. In fact, I would say usually not. Anyway, thanks for the thread, it's very helpful. :)

I think they often go together, but not always. That's why they can still reject your article after you send the final draft.

Dedekind

Explorer
I am about to make my 3rd attempt. (First 2 where over a year ago). This time I have 13 article idea's in one letter. I will let you guys know what happens.

This sounds like a bad strategy to me. From WotC's point of view, you would have sent a big pile of work and each will require commentary to the same guy by the same editor. It could seem like you are spamming them.*

I would pick your best 4 and send them as individual submissions. Take the feedback from those to improve your next best 4 and then send those in.

Of course, you've been through the process before and maybe this is totally OK?

Last edited:

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I just got my rejection message for an article and it was a very positive experience. Their response was cordial, explained their reasons why they weren't interested, and gave me some tips for how it could be improved and potentially become an article they'd be interested in. And best of all it was from the DM-for-Life himself, Chris Perkins! For all the public relations flak that WotC gets, in my experience they handled it perfectly.

Remove ads