• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Relatively a Ranger (Alt. Ranger w/o spells)

Archimago

First Post
Although this is the same alt. ranger as my other post on this forum, [plug] "My homebrew world has different core classes... Are they balanced [/plug], I'll post it separately because alt rangers seem in vogue.

Ranger
HD: d8
Saves (F/R/W): Good/Good/Good
BAB: Good
Armour Pro: Light, Medium, and Shields
Weapon Pro: All Simple and All Martial
Skills: 4+int
Skill List: As PHB
L1 Track, Favoured Enemy I
L2 Ranger Focus
L3 Uncanny Dodge I
L4 Damage Reduction 1/-
L5 Favoured Enemy II
L6 Uncanny Dodge II
L8 Damage Reduction 2/-
L10 Favoured Enemy III
L12 Damage Reduction 3/-
L15 Favoured Enemy IV
L16 Damage Reduction 4/-
L20 Damage Reduction 5/-, Favoured Enemy V
Track – As PHB
Favoured Enemy X – X refers to number of favoured enemy ranks gained, maximum number of favoured enemies, and maximum number of ranks that can be assigned to any one favoured enemy; effects as PHB; enemy types in Fauna of Alterra (Must pick subtype for intelligent, semi-intelligent, and magical entities)
Ranger Focus – Select one of the following
Hunter - Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot
Predator - TWF, Ambidexterity
Stalker - Greater Skill Focus* (Hide), Greater Skill Focus (Move Silently)
Survivor - Toughness, Endurance, Luck of Heroes
Tracker - Greater Skill Focus (Wilderness Lore), Greater Skill Focus (Spot)
Tamer - Greater Skill Focus (Animal Empathy), Greater Skill Focus (Handle Animal)

* From FRCS, +5 to given skill

NB. I combined the ranger and barbarian classes for my world, this is the product of that merger.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Not a bad merger. I have a few suggestions, though. :)

The d8 HD is too low for this kind of a class. There are three ways to fix this. Give it 2d8 at first level, ala 1st edition AD&D. Or give him d12 and poor reflex/will saves. Or give him d10 and good fort/reflex saves.

This class should not have 3 good saves. Fort should be good. Reflex should be good only if you reduce the HD from 12 to 10. If you give him the 2d8 at first level, keep the good fort save and leave the rest poor.

Perhaps give the rage power once per day (no more). Make it available at first level since you pushed back the "ranger focus" to second.

Remove ads