Relentless Assault

Michael Morris

First Post
Unless you play with loaded dice, it's not too powerful. I've calculated the odds of rolling 2, 3 or 4 consecutive crits with a fighter who has this feat, is using a rapier, and is playing under a DM which is allowing the keen spell (or weapon ability) to stack with the improved critical feat (technically this is against the rules). This creates a threat range of 12-20. I've assumed that the confimation roll always hits, and I've ignored the rule that a roll of one always misses for purposes of this calculation (basically, I'm assuming all non threat rolls are hits to simplify my calculation). The damage is based on a character with a 13 strength (minimum needed for this feat tree).

Code:
# crits      Damage         Probability
0             d6+5           60%
1            4d6+18         36.8% 
2            7d6+32          3.1488% 
3           10d6+43          0.05103616%
4           14d6+52          0.0001637351424%

As you can see, the odds of rolling 2 crits in a row are significant but small - the massive damage you guys are worrying about is statistically speaking, insignificant. Rolling 3 crits with this feat is about 10 times less likely than rolling an 18 stat on 3d6, and rolling 4 crits is comprable to drawing a royal flush in 5 card stud poker (0.000154%) Anything beyond that gets significantly less. Hence it would be unusual to see 3 crits more than once a month and 4 crits maybe once a year in real time. If a player did 3 or more crits more than once a game I seriously would balance check his dice.

The damage, even on the 4 crit scenario, is in line for what a meteor swarm or other high level spell can do on a failed save, but those abilities are at a wizard's disposal on command, while this is random. Also remember that this calculation is a gross simplication of the odds - where we to factor in the 5% chance on each roll of a miss, not to mention the effect of the higher AC's foes at this level are likely to possess, and the open ended nature of the roll isn't going to significantly impact things.

The way I look at it as a DM is that if the player does pull this off he's going to get real excited and have a lot of fun with it. Which is cool. But he isn't going to do this everytime he turns around. Normally Relentless assault will allow 1 extra attack and rarely 2 on the foe if the 2nd attack is indeed a crit. Essentially it's true value is effectively adding another multiple to the original attack provided you can hit on the followup (most of the time a fighter of this level will). The only real worry is how a player reacts if an NPC does this to them, but as long as that NPC is not a random but a bad ass the players have been hunting a *long* time (and they know he's bad) this shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

Michael Morris

First Post
It's coup de grace and no, a coup de grace is a full attack option that precludes taking any bonus swings, including those from the cleave feat or this one.

domino

First Post
Well nertz. So much for "And after the ferocious barrage of your blows has hammered the body through the bed, and the floor, and the next floor, and the wine cellar, and the bedrock, the mangled corpse must make a fort save with a DC of 1247."

Because that would be funny.

jktrondarr

First Post
i love the concept of this feat (it's also one of my favorite m:tg cards), but it's way overpowered. your example shows how a wuss(str 13) of a fighter w/ no other enhancements would average an extra crit only about 60% of the time in a single combat. however, by 12th lvl (minimum for greater spec) your "average" fighter is gonna have a much higher strenght, other magical enhancements, and will be pwr attacking like a beast. you also have to consider the damage from his non-critical hits. and i haven't even seen what brutal hit does yet.

IMO, you should measure the power of a feat by what a maxxed out killing machine can accomplish with it instead of what a sub-par fighter cannot. i'm not trying to slam you or anything, i just think that you over-simplified your example a bit.

Ferrix

Explorer
Considering a feat like this already exists for those who fight unarmed in Complete Warrior called Roundabout Kick and has three pre-requisites (Str 15, Improved Unarmed Strike, Power Attack) and the feat above has quite the many additional pre-requisites, I think it's perfectly balanced as is.

Even a max/minned fighter 12 is not going to be scoring massive amounts of critical hits, even if that's his thing (a character who wields a falchion would probably be the most ideal build for this). And a +44 bonus to damage at 12th level? Let's see...

Half-Orc Fighter 12
Str 20 base + 3 level + 6 enhancement = 29, meaning a +9 bonus to hit, +13 bonus to damage with a two handed weapon.
Their weapon say a Shocking Burst Flaming Burst Keen +1 Falchion which their friendly mage casts Greater Magic Weapon on to give it a +3 enhancement bonus to, deals 2d4+20+2d6 damage, average of 32, of which 7 from the bonus elemental dice doesn't multiply for crits, but 10 gets from the burst qualities. This weapon also takes up about 85% of their gold for that level. Sure the example could be more twinked out, but there's really no need.

This doesn't look like +44 damage to me, you have to remember that the character has to have at least 12 levels of fighter to get this feat since it requires greater weapon specialization, thus no PrC's.

I think it's fine as is, even a touch weak.

Remove ads