• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Remember Weapon Speeds?

telepox

First Post
Does anyone know why there are no weapon speeds anymore? I'm sure this has been asked, but I haven't seen it. Does anyone have any house rules on such? I'm thinking that a lighter shortsword or dagger is quicker than a great axe, even if the reach is a little less...
If there is an obvious answer to this don't bash please :D

Crothian

First Post
It was not needed. It was an added complication. It really gets confusing when you have more then one weapon, or switch weapons through a combat sequence.

Personally, I'm happy to see these rules go the way of the Dodo.

Romotre

First Post
well it was complicated because it was 2nd edition. it someone put some 3e "magic" or the 3e "touch" or whatever into weapon speed i'd like to see them return in 3.1e

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Personally, they can stay gone. The rules are already pretty complex for a beginner, and adding weapon speeds, adjusting initiative in strange ways all just adds an extra nothingness to the game.

Crothian

First Post
That's good if you want a nice, condescending viewpoint. granted, I agree with the guy, I just think he comes across all rude.
:(

If you want them, just give weapons an iniative modifier, but you will have to scrap cycilical initative. As people have pointed out cycical initative with weapon speeds tends towards the bizarre.

Someone on these boards once suggested the following, for those who want heavier weapons to be slower.

(to paraphrase, since there's no search function)

For every 5 pounds of the weapon, impose a -1 initiative penalty. This penalty can only be cancelled out by the Str bonus (but there can never be an initiative bonus from Str)

It follows the rule where heavy equipment imposes penalties on a range of skill checks.

I'm not sure if the Str bonus was x1.5 if the weapon was used two-handed or not.

Anyway, that's what I remember.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads