• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Removing permanent marker from a battlemap

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Writing over permanent marker with wet erase is pointless. That trick is for permanent marker on dry erase.
Try an exacto knife instead of the Acetone it'll do effectively the same thing with less chance of ruining the whole mat.

The probelm isn't dissolving the markerm, it's scrubbing the opigment out of the pores of the mat. Use denatured alcohol. And a toothbrush

maggot

First Post
Charwoman Gene said:
Writing over permanent marker with wet erase is pointless. That trick is for permanent marker on dry erase.
Try an exacto knife instead of the Acetone it'll do effectively the same thing with less chance of ruining the whole mat.

The probelm isn't dissolving the markerm, it's scrubbing the opigment out of the pores of the mat. Use denatured alcohol. And a toothbrush

I've used wet erase markers to remove Sharpie from my mat. Worked great. But then the Sharpie marks were only a few minutes old.

Be careful with acetone and other solutions because you may end up taking out the lines from the mat as well.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
jmucchiello said:
Acetone is a big no-no. I remember my seeing my friend's white, formerly oyster, blank battlemat after a split second of acetone.
I've used it on a battlemat with good results. There was a minor fading of the lines in the affected zone, but nothing excessive.

Mr Jack

First Post
Nikosandros said:
Funny... the name is the same as in Italian.

Acetone is a scientific name, so it would be.

In general we just call that stuff that removes nail polish... nail polish remover. We're original like that ;)

am181d

Adventurer
Seems like it would be less trouble to simply buy a new battlemat. I *highly* recommend that you check prices before you start buying things to clean the mat.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads