Repeating crossbow - WTF!

reanjr

First Post
Sorcica said:
Hi

Could someone please explain to me why anyone would spend a feat to be able to use a repeating crossbow.
Why not just use a bow? And spend the feat on rapid shot or something. If you're not proficient with bows, why not spend the feat on a bow instead of Repeating Crossbow.

I'm trying really really hard, but I just can see any advantages to the rep. X-bow that warrants the spending off a feat.

:confused:

Tailor made for wizards. They have to spend a feat to get bows anyway, so they might as weel spedn it on something even better. Better range, better damage (assuming the wizards has a medium to low Strength). It's perfect for when you've cast that last spell or you are conserving and need to stay way out of combat.

Bob the Reaver

First Post
I make Repeating Hand Crossbows avalible as an Exotic Weapon. Some of my players dont like the idea. After a controversail campaign introducing rifles to the campaign my players are always on the look out for rapid fire projectiles.

reanjr said:
Tailor made for wizards. They have to spend a feat to get bows anyway, so they might as weel spedn it on something even better. Better range, better damage (assuming the wizards has a medium to low Strength). It's perfect for when you've cast that last spell or you are conserving and need to stay way out of combat.

Why not spend the feat on a greatbow instead? My point is, that is you have to spend a feat anyway, you might as well spend it on an exotic bow - which IMO is superior to a reating crossbow.

:)

Storm Raven

First Post
Sorcica said:
Why not spend the feat on a greatbow instead? My point is, that is you have to spend a feat anyway, you might as well spend it on an exotic bow - which IMO is superior to a reating crossbow.

So long as you don't have a Strength penalty. And don't mind standing up to shoot.

coyote6

Adventurer
For a homebrew setting I was toying with once, I was going to make repeating crossbows martial weapons.

Giving one or more races (or cultures) a weapon familiarity trait w/repeating crossbows would work, too. Imagine the goblin armies, with their repeating crossbow-armed worg cavalry . . .

Creamsteak

Explorer
Ridley's Cohort said:
It would also be much easier for a crossbow wielder to qualify for a Cover bonus. A small matter for most PCs, but a big advantage in a large scale battle or fight against a horde of elite kobolds crawling amongst the rocks.

This is what I was going to point out. You can also (I'm not sure if the rules make this claim, but it makes sense) fire a crossbow from prone without trouble, but firing a bow while laying down sounds REALLY difficult.

Wolv0rine

First Post
I don't know, just saw 'Van Helsing' last night, and I've got to say he made fabulous use of a monstrous heavy repeating crossbow.

Of course, the thing came off more like a friggin M-16, but... *chuckles*

Remove ads