• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Replacement for Racial Favored Class: Any

tmaaas

First Post
I don't care for racial favored classes and the xp penalties. I don't think multiclassing with the core classes is a major issue. Most builds with multiple core classes seem to be balanced with or weaker than a single class character. So, I'm removing favored classes as far as a mechanical attribute of races altogether.

For humans and half-elves, I want to compensate for their Favored Class: Any racial ability. I'm leaning towards giving permanent class skills of their choice (keeping with the human's "flexibility" theme). I'm not sure whether to grant one or two, however, and would value your opinion.

Of course, feel free to comment on other possible replacements for favored class: any or possible problems with removing the favored class mechanic.

Thanks!

-- tmaaas

Beholder Bob

First Post
My leaning would be to grant 1 of 2 options:

1) proficiency w a single martial weapon or treat 1 exotic weapon as martial

or

2) 2 cross class skills become class skills.

I like #2 in general, but I'd prefer as a player to choose when I make a character which of the 2 options I'd choose. As a final option: 1/2 elf gets #1 (only w/elf favored weapons), human gets #2.

B:]B

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Since the Favored Class: Any thing seems to be there to encourage multi-classing, consider other options that likewise encourage multi-classing.

One or two permanent class skills certainly may help multi-classing.

Another thing might be "Practiced Spellcaster +2" -- one-half the power of the Feat, but not shabby in and of itself. Perhaps too powerful. I've not used the original feat in game.

Free Skill Focus, maybe?

Or, the ability to overcome some class restrictions on alignment (Druid, Bard, Paladin :uhoh: -- probably not Paladin, but maybe Barbarian). IMC, I've dropped the alignment restrictions on Druids and Bards, and there's been no trouble. (We've had no Bards, but two Druids.)

-- N

Storyteller01

First Post
In my campaign, the xp penalty was replaced with a skill point bonus. If you take a level in your favored class, your character gained a bonus skill point (just like humans when they gain any level). Races with 'Any' as a favored class (except humans) must choose a favored class at first level. Bonuses for PrC's are generally up to the GM, but if the P{rC closely fits the favored class we give them the bonus point.

haiiro

First Post
tmaaas said:
I'm leaning towards giving permanent class skills of their choice (keeping with the human's "flexibility" theme). I'm not sure whether to grant one or two, however, and would value your opinion.

Two sounds pretty reasonable to me. Of the three things humans get, the other two are pretty major -- but FC: any is still fairly substantial. If you want to be more conservative, just grant the one.

BluWolf

Explorer
I like some of these ideas. I have never really used favored class at all. I wrote into the PHB in my campaign world more as a flavor tect than an actual rule.

I like the idea of giving a skill bonus for favored class but I don't like how it still sort of short changes the humans and 1/2 elves.

Maybe combine this with the idea about giving humans the ability to select two skills at first level as class skills???

That might work...

reanjr

First Post
tmaaas said:
I don't care for racial favored classes and the xp penalties. I don't think multiclassing with the core classes is a major issue. Most builds with multiple core classes seem to be balanced with or weaker than a single class character. So, I'm removing favored classes as far as a mechanical attribute of races altogether.

For humans and half-elves, I want to compensate for their Favored Class: Any racial ability. I'm leaning towards giving permanent class skills of their choice (keeping with the human's "flexibility" theme). I'm not sure whether to grant one or two, however, and would value your opinion.

Of course, feel free to comment on other possible replacements for favored class: any or possible problems with removing the favored class mechanic.

Thanks!

-- tmaaas

IIRC, I read that favored classes were used for flavor and were not considered a balance issue. I don't think there is any compensation necessary. Otherwise you should have to compensate a Dwarf Rogue/Wizard because he is not getting his favored class bonus.

[edit] If flavor is the issue, you can allow a Human to select their favored class based on the most advantageous combination, rather than the highest level.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
Storyteller01 said:
In my campaign, the xp penalty was replaced with a skill point bonus. If you take a level in your favored class, your character gained a bonus skill point (just like humans when they gain any level). Races with 'Any' as a favored class (except humans) must choose a favored class at first level. Bonuses for PrC's are generally up to the GM, but if the P{rC closely fits the favored class we give them the bonus point.

Same here, except that races with 'any' get the bonus skill point when they take a level in their highest class, and no skill bonus for PrCl (unless there is a race whose favored class is a PrCl).

Li Shenron

Legend
reanjr said:
IIRC, I read that favored classes were used for flavor and were not considered a balance issue.

That's probably true, the intent behind favored classes. As they are implemented however, they are "flavor" when your second class is favored and they are "balance" when it is not... or IOW, being your favored class gives you nothing, but NOT being your favored class can give you penalties :p

Jai Kel

Lurker Extraordinaire
What we have used as a House Rule for favored classes is that Humans & Half-elves have no "favored classes". They are free to mix things up however they want without any fear of XP penalty at all.

All other characters simply declare/choose a favored class when they are created. This is where we try to add some flavor by making class choices based on character concept.

This has worked for us since 3.0 came out, and I feel it balances out pretty nicely.

Remove ads