Level Up (A5E) Reputation and class abilities

Nephilim00

Explorer
There are various martial class and archetype abilities which are tied into the character’s reputation. For example, a level 18 Fighter/Gladiator just looks mean, and everyone within 60 feet is afraid.

Now, the descriptive text says it’s because their reputation precedes them. What if the character goes somewhere where they are unknown? Or tries to use the ability on a beast or creature outside of humanoid society? Should the results of the ability be tweaked based on circumstance, or should the descriptive text be hand-waived off?

xiphumor

Legend
There are various martial class and archetype abilities which are tied into the character’s reputation. For example, a level 18 Fighter/Gladiator just looks mean, and everyone within 60 feet is afraid.

Now, the descriptive text says it’s because their reputation precedes them. What if the character goes somewhere where they are unknown? Or tries to use the ability on a beast or creature outside of humanoid society? Should the results of the ability be tweaked based on circumstance, or should the descriptive text be hand-waived off?
It continues to function unless the text is doing something like tying it to the area described by their prestige rating.

Faolyn

(she/her)

I'd say it depends on how the reputation works and how cinematic you as the Narrator want to be.

In the Gladiator example, you look mean in large part because you can do some particularly gory things, and I'd extrapolate that to mean that you look like you are more than willing and able to do gory things. You have that certain something about you that cries out "violent sadist." So any creature that is capable of realizing that you look like a violent sadist should be affected, even if they've never met you before. If you want to be cinematic, this would even affect beasts, even if in real life animals aren't going to judge you based on your appearance.

even if in real life animals aren't going to judge you based on your appearance.
i mean, animals WILL treat you differently based on how you present yourself. it's why "look as big as possible" or "maintain eye contact" is advice given for if you encounter certain predators.

but also, like, at 18th level you're getting into extraplanar threat territory. there's a very good chance anyone in any given plane HAS heard of you (at least in a "i heard about this guy in a story once" sort of sense). and even if they haven't, you probably ARE scary enough to flex those features regardless.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I interpret it as having a reputation reflects in the characters overall demeanour - someone with an intimidating reputation will look imposing, their movements will carry menace enough that even non-humanoids sense the threat, conversely a person with a positive reputation will seem more relaxed and confident. As such it doesnt depend on being known (though that helps in active social situations), its the passive effect on the characters stance

Faolyn

(she/her)
i mean, animals WILL treat you differently based on how you present yourself. it's why "look as big as possible" or "maintain eye contact" is advice given for if you encounter certain predators.
Well, yeah. But those are more behaviors than general appearance. If the gladiator is trying to be mean to scare off an animal, it should work. But I meant more like this:

1712172544848.png

Human looks at that guy and goes eep! Animals, less so.

But since this is a game, unless the trait says otherwise, just assume it works even if you're new to the area.

(Edit to fix image)

If you want to be cinematic, this would even affect beasts, even if in real life animals aren't going to judge you based on your appearance.
I think most sentient creatures can understand at a very primal level how a threat looks like. It can simply be due to size, growls and intimidating appearance, or something more subtle like remaining unfazed by their own threats or not "reeking of fear".
The only creatures I'd consider more or less immune from this trait (but not necessarily immune from fear) are mindless creatures or creatures with a very alien mind (oozes, and some aberrations).

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Well, yeah. But those are more behaviors than general appearance. If the gladiator is trying to be mean to scare off an animal, it should work. But I meant more like this:

View attachment 355776
Human looks at that guy and goes eep! Animals, less so.

But since this is a game, unless the trait says otherwise, just assume it works even if you're new to the area.

(Edit to fix image)
"Since this is a game" is very rarely a good enough answer for me. Abilities like this should IMO be tied to the PCs Prestige Rating.

Faolyn

(she/her)
"Since this is a game" is very rarely a good enough answer for me. Abilities like this should IMO be tied to the PCs Prestige Rating.
In some ways they are--when you get up to 18th level, you get a what, +4, +5 to your Prestige Rating? In large part it's because of social abilities that the classes and archetypes have.

(That's my one issue with the 3pp classes--they don't have enough of the social aspect of play built into them in the same way the other classes tend to have.)

Remove ads