• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Requesting Feedback on These Two Homebrew 5e D&D Monk Subclasses

Spieldog20

First Post
I am seeking feedback, positive and critical, for these two homebrew monk subclasses I have created:

Way of the Righteous:  https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SkVTjAYsN

Way of Mystic Visions:  https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rkaxnkqo4

I am looking for feedback on all levels, including thematic feedback, mechanical feedback, and overall feedback on the power level.

I am especially interested in feedback if anything seems too powerful.

I appreciate your courtesy and time!

Spieldog20

Stalker0

Legend
I am seeking feedback, positive and critical, for these two homebrew monk subclasses I have created:

Way of the Righteous:  https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SkVTjAYsN

Way of Mystic Visions:  https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rkaxnkqo4

I am looking for feedback on all levels, including thematic feedback, mechanical feedback, and overall feedback on the power level.

I am especially interested in feedback if anything seems too powerful.

I appreciate your courtesy and time!

Spieldog20

Way of the Righteous:

1) General Holy Monk spellcaster flavor seems good. No problems there.

2) Spellcasting: The only spell that may get a little weird is the paladin mount, but I don't think there's anything broken here.

3) Way of the Righteous Spells: I think this is unneeded extra. They don't need "domain spells". They already have spellcasting I think that's fine.

4) KI-Powered Spells: Frankly I don't think this needs a per day limit, the Ki already limits it...and its a pretty big cost.

5) Inspirational Warrior: This flavor doesn't jive to me, it seems to come out of left field.

6) Aura of Protection: Even though this is much higher level than the paladin its just way too good. Monk saves are already some of the best, and this just makes them ridiculous, let alone the bonus to your party. Too OP

7) Holy Retribution: Seems fine and appropriate.

Stalker0

Legend
Way of Mystic Visions:

1) Ritual Spellcaster: I don't like the reliance on a spell book for a monk. Maybe they inscribe mystic tattoos on their body or something, something more "monk-ish".

2) 3rd Eye Opens: Lose the ability check, its a weird thing to see in class features. If the ability is too strong without it I would tone it down. I think the ability is pretty strong and cool. I would also add a clause that says "as an action you can do X...In addition you gain these benefits when you take the dash, dodge, etc". Realistically there is nothing that prevents a monk from standing still and gaining these bonuses, so might as well just let them take an action for that if they want to just do that.

3) Ki Imposition: Calm Beast - I would just say the creature is effected by the "Calm Emotions" spell. That already has all of the language you really need. The rest of Ki Impositions are truncated, I couldn't' see them.

4) Portent: Hmm...its a very strong ability, people go on and on about diviner wizards. But its pretty fitting for the class. Maybe just 1d20 rolled if its too good.

5) Third Eye Expands: The Blindsight by itself is plenty, that is a very strong power. All of it together is too much.

6) Gaze of the Master: I am confused, do I get all 4 of those abilities, do I choose one? Its weirdly laid out.

Ok way of the righteous feels kind of like it's trying to juggle a bit too much.

It's trying to be a mini-pally and a pocket cleric. My advice is to pick whether you want it to be more cleric like (domain spells, active ally buffs), or more paladin like (crusader/inspirational powers, more general passive buffs).

EDIT: Schools, and Paths need to be a tad more focused than whole classes, there's just less design space to work with.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads