RESIDENT EVIL & DAWN OF THE DEAD d20 "Survival Horror"

Hand of Vecna

First Post
just thought I'd also say that the "All Flesh Must Be Eaten" game/book is an excellent source of all things Zombie-ish, the bibliogrpahy/filmography in the back is a treasure trove, and the fiction is top-notch.

Speaking of, Eden Studios (makers of AFMBE) recently published "The Book of All Flesh," a colection of numerous Zombie short stories, most all of which are quite good.

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
For more zombie short fiction, track down copies of the cool OOP (out of print) anthology series, BOOK OF THE DEAD (volume I and II). These were edited by (at least) one of the co-authors who wrote THE LIGHT AT THE END (one of the first "splatterpunk" novels and a darn good vampire yarn in its own right). It was either John Skipp or Craig Specter (sp?), maybe both? Can't find my paperback copies to confirm. Anyway, the BOOK OF THE DEAD series had a bunch of different horror authors takes on what would happen if flesh-eating zombies were a reality, not all of which mirrored Romero's vision (as seen in the classic Dead Trilogy: NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968), DAWN OF THE DEAD (1978), and DAY OF THE DEAD (1985)), so there was certainly plenty of variety for different zombie invasion scenarios. You can probably find them lurking on the dusty shelves of used paperback stores everywhere, or try searching on E-Bay, especially if you live outside the USA.

Anybody read the AFMBE fiction book?

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
FLESH-EATING ZOMBIE MOVIES (a partial list, ones that totally suck are marked with an asterisk, so you've been warned):

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968, B&W, do not get the terrible "colorized" version!)

RETURN OF THE ZOMBIES (1972, aka THE HANGING WOMAN, Paul Naschy plays a necrophiliac hunchback to entertain us until the zombies show up, LOL)

LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE (1974, a great gory thriller)

TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD (1972, the Knights Templar rise from the grave on spectral steeds to drink the blood of the living who dare enter their castle tomb)

RETURN OF THE EVIL DEAD (1973, sequel to TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD)

NIGHT OF THE SEAGULLS (1974, aka NIGHT OF THE DEATH CULT, aka HORROR OF THE ZOMBIES [cut version], sequel to RETURN OF THE EVIL DEAD)

DAWN OF THE DEAD (1978, aka ZOMBIES)

ZOMBIE (1979, aka ZOMBIE 2)

THE GATES OF HELL (1981?, aka CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD)

CITY OF THE WALKING DEAD (1981?)

NIGHT OF THE ZOMBIES (1981, aka ZOMBIE CREEPING FLESH, aka

HELL OF THE LIVING DEAD, aka VIRUS)

CANNIBAL APOCALYPSE (1981? aka INVASION OF THE FLESH-HUNTERS [cut version missing 7 minutes of gore but still good])

(H.P. LOVECRAFT'S) RE-ANIMATOR (1985)

DAY OF THE DEAD (1985)

RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD (1985)

*ZOMBIE 3 (1988)

*NIGHT OF THE LIVING ZOMBIES (1988, aka FLESHEATER)

*AFTER DEATH (1989, aka ZOMBIE 4)

*THE DEAD PIT (1989)

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1990, official remake of 68 version)

THE NECRO FILES (1998, explicit nudity and gore)

*BIOZOMBIE (1999? Hong Kong rip-off of Resident Evil meets Dawn of the Dead, LOL)

(*?)RESIDENT EVIL (2002)

I'm sure I'm missing a few, and might have a few release dates off by a year or two, but this is just off the top of my head. :D

Last edited:

Hattersai

First Post
You forgot Dead Alive...one of the funniest and goriest Zombie film ever...yes funnier than bikers fighting zombies with creme pies.

Plus the Priest is hilarious."I kick butt for the Lord"

kyuss

Explorer
Don't forget to add Chopper Chicks in Zombie Town to the list of hilarious movies. Not only does it have a female biker gang (the Cycle Sluts), it also has a young Billy Bob Thornton (his first movie?) in it. I saw this movie on the Speedvision channel of all places. Hilarious!

Rackhir

Explorer
Another good Zombie themed movies is "Cemetery Man". It's an italian? movie, shows up on HBO/Showtime a fair amount. The main character works at the cemetery in a small town, where all the dead come back to life and it's his job to kill them again after they've been buried and come back to life as flesh eating zombies. Gets quite surreal in parts, but a lot of fun.

Corinth

First Post
I WASTE HIM WITH MY SHOTGUN! EAT 12-GAUGE SLUG DEATH, ZOMBIE-BOY!

It sounds like D20 CoC will do zombie adventures rather well. All you need a spot rule to handle zombification, and you're ready for your special blend of ravenous undead hordes coming to devour you whole.

Remove ads