Retiring old AL adventures -- good idea or the best idea?

rczarnec

Explorer
The only argument that seems to be made for keeping the old adventures is that retiring them would 'take away options'. I don't see that three full seasons of AL outside of Season One, plus three hardcovers outside the two Season One hardcover adventures, plus convention content, plus Lost Mine adds up to 'not enough content'. As such the real argument seems to be that people would feel bad if they couldn't play certain adventures for AL rewards. While I understand that AL isn't in the business of making players feel bad, the reality is that the admins and authors do spend significant time developing narrative storylines, both within seasons and foreshadowed for future seasons, and while people may not care about them, the AL does use them in how it runs the campaign.
Pauper

And since no rational arguments have been made for retiring old adventures, that looks like a win for keeping them. Since it seems likely that the adventures will continue to be available, I guess that you will just have to continue to rail against people having fun that you don't approve of.

RulesJD

First Post
*snip*

The only argument that seems to be made for keeping the old adventures is that retiring them would 'take away options'. I don't see that three full seasons of AL outside of Season One, plus three hardcovers outside the two Season One hardcover adventures, plus convention content, plus Lost Mine adds up to 'not enough content'. As such the real argument seems to be that people would feel bad if they couldn't play certain adventures for AL rewards.

*snip*

--
Pauper

Wow, projecting much??

Did you even read the above posts? Obviously not otherwise you'd see the arguments actually being made rather than the ones only being made in your head.

1. Yes, it removes options for literally zero benefit. Eliminating Season 1 is a high costs, with zero benefit.

2. It also removes the ability of players to experience the complete storyline of many characters. One of my current groups favorite moments was playing the intro to Jenny Greenteeh in Season 1 (hiding her identity of course) after playing through all of Season 4. Having Elisandre show up in Season 3 makes zero impact when players will have zero chance of developing her earlier storyline.

3. Season 1 is some of the best written and developed content, especially when compared against Season 4 and even some Season 5 modules.

Again, what you want has a high cost in player agency and DMs ability to tell a story, with literally no reward, at all. I noticed you conspicuously declined to respond to my most basic of explanations for how a character from Season 2 can play a Season 1 adventure and be perfectly fine.

Scorpienne

First Post
I feel the campaign is already on shaky ground by not retiring the Season One adventures prior to this point.

You can always opt not to play them or run them in your area. If your concerns are shared by a majority of the players, I think you will find that the earlier seasons just aren't interesting to the players and the DMs, and so they will be de facto retired as they are no longer played.

p

Nobody seems to have bothered to make what I consider the best argument for maintaining the old adventures -- distribution is simple now that AL has moved to the DMs Guild, and as long as the old adventures continue to sell, there's no reason to deprive their authors of income by retiring them. As long as the benefit to those authors exceeds the problems caused to the campaign by maintaining old, outdated content, keeping the old adventures in play makes sense.

But it is very likely the day will come when it no longer makes sense.

--
Pauper

Actually I think this is a prime reason why they will stay 'online'. People still buy that content on DM's Guild because it's AL legal and would stop doing so if it weren't. If there's demand and profit to be made, why would you eliminate it?

A note on 'narrative' - if there are groups looking for that, nothing stops them from playing the mods in seasonal order and nothing compels someone to play in a mod they think will break their story immersion.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
--

I feel the campaign is already on shaky ground by not retiring the Season One adventures prior to this point.
--
Pauper

Who appointed you the Fun Police?

So far every suggestion I've seen from you has been about taking things away.

Less gold for DM's.

Less adventures for the players.

Remove the option to buy low level magic items from the Faction Guide.

Trying to drive out power gamers and optimizers because you personally don't like that playstyle.

It's not your private home game, you don't get to dictate how it works.

Lighten up and quit trying to take fun away from other people.

Koren n'Rhys

Explorer
Good idea. On the DM guild etc. Have write up aka previously on Dungeons and dragons for each season. Then have a suggested changes for each module for story dms.
This is indeed a good idea. A short guidance document each season that offers suggestions on tied-ins to previous seasons' content and/or suggested edits would be very cool.

RulesJD

First Post
This is indeed a good idea. A short guidance document each season that offers suggestions on tied-ins to previous seasons' content and/or suggested edits would be very cool.

I've suggested that same thing several times, especially with regards to Season 4. There is a small sort of one for Season 1, but that's it.

Remove ads