• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Return to PHB: Best Generic Feats?

What feats do all of your PCs take at some point?

• Alertness

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Durable

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Far Shot or Far Throw

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Fast Runner

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Improved Initiative

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Long Jumper

• Power Attack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Powerful Charge

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Quick Draw

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Sure Climber

• Toughness

Votes: 42 53.8%
  • Other (please describe in a comment)

Votes: 16 20.5%

Prestidigitalis

First Post
I'd like to interrupt our regularly scheduled discussion of changes to DDI to return to the roots of 4e, and specifically the Player's Handbook. By now, you have all had time to play a few thousand PCs, and you have probably noticed a few trends. I thought it would be interesting to explore those trends.

Which Heroic Tier feats from the PHB do pretty much all of your PCs end up taking at some point in their careers? (That's assuming they live long enough to call their trajectory from point-buy to eulogy a "career".) I'm not going to include the already-discussed-to-death options like expertise -- just the generic feats that give simple bonuses or options and that are open to every character class and race.

If enough people respond to this poll I will post another one later for paragon tier or possibly including material from other books, but this is a start.

renau1g

First Post
Toughness for many of my PC's at some point, although now with all the other options it's less common. Weapon focus is also common for all weapon users, which are usually most of the group.

nnms

First Post
I have to go with Powerful Charge. I love charging and anything that adds to it is awesome in my book.

Mmmm. Half Orc Slayer with Berzerker's Charge stance and Powerful Charge...

Prestidigitalis

First Post
I have to go with Powerful Charge. I love charging and anything that adds to it is awesome in my book.

Mmmm. Half Orc Slayer with Berzerker's Charge stance and Powerful Charge...

Check out the Invincible Vanguard epic destiny in MP2... It will make you desperate to get to level 21.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Toughness and Fast Runner are pretty common especially on tanks
Weapon Expertise
a multiclass feat for another skill and a power

Oulak

First Post
Weapon/Implement/Versatile expertise.

Feat tax or not, DM freebie or not, I can't stand missing by 1. With this feat, missing by 1 happens 5% fewer times.

Last edited:

Prestidigitalis

First Post
Weapon/Implement/Versatile expertise.

Feat tax or not, DM freebie or not, I can't stand missing by 1. With this feat, missing by 1 happens 5% fewer times.

Well, I left off all of the "feat tax" feats purposely. They have been discussed to the point where excrutiating boredom is bitching about the dead horse being beaten outside its door.

Remove ads