• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Returning to 4e some restarting help

Arbanax

First Post
HI everyone,

I've got a few questions about restarting in 4e. Basic background bought into 4e played a bit online with mr Nerdy Tenor and some other fine folk, but have now found a group of players in my area (thanks to EN world no less).

Anyway they've played one or two 4e games early on, as have I. I have the three 'original 4e core books' but am aware that so much seems to have changed or been improved in the two years since. One other thing cost is an issue, I don't have much disposable income and If I use a laptop its not likely to be internet connected.

So firstly I want to bring myself up to speed, yes I can read the errata, but is there anything else I need to read?

Second, is there condition markers or other stuff to use with tokens - preferably free to print out.

Third adventure, I started with H1 keep of the Shadowfell which by and large seems to be pretty rubbish. Are there any better starting adventures or adventure paths you'd recommend?

fourth is there a good way to track initiative and other bits of paperwork? As I said earlier I might be able to use an old laptop, but are there some good paper alternatives.

ok I might not have thought of everything but that will do for starters. Thanks.

Ab

Stormonu

Legend
I'm preparing to start over on 4E, so I'm going through some of the same things.

1) Not sure here, as I'm just getting back in. My guess is to read up on changes to Skill Challenges (the DC's changed dramatically, 3 failures before X successes), and the recent changes to monster damage and hit points.

2) A quick google found these printable condition markers. I'm sure there's plenty more around the internet, as I've downloaded some status markers from some time back (but I don't know where they came from):

http://bdrago.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8...http://www.bdrago.com/eberron/&usg=__gEnHRkBZ

Also, Gale Force 9 is making some official tokens

3) HS1 - The Slaying Stones is the most recent adventure I picked up. It looks much better to me than KotS. I wish WotC had some free "starter" adventures like they used to do during the 3E era, but I think all their adventures are behind the paywall.*

4) Personally, I use my laptop and Fantasy Grounds II to normally track combat and such nowadays. A good ol' ruled sheet of paper though, ought to work in a pinch. I suggest color markers to put a spot of color beside character/monster names to indicate different statuses (and "X" it out when it no longer applies) with a matching token/marker/colored rubber band on the battle board.

* On that note, one month of DDI may be a cheaper and better alternative to buying HS1.

rexartur

Explorer
4) when not using a laptop (IPlay4E is a very cool tool \iPlay4e - play 4e Dungeons and Dragons (D&D) online!), I use a small dry erase tablet, so I can re-order what I need (I sometimes use magnetic markers for players & monsters as well). I use a magnetic bauble to indicate current player. Along with that I developed a bit o shorthand. If John the Fighter marks Baldy the kobold as part of his last attack, and Sarah and Jane go between them, and Jane used her Second Wind on her last turn, it looks sumthin like this (eot = end of turn, bot = beginning of turn)

John, eot A

Sarah (magnetic bauble)

Jane, bot 2nd wind

Baldy the Kobold, marked John to A

When we get back to the end of John's turn I erase the reference to the mark on both his and the kobold's line.

Works fairly smoothly in practice.

cdrcjsn

First Post
I usually use index cards (one for each player and monster) to keep track of both initiative and hit points. I usually mark conditions on them as well.

But for the most part, for conditions that only last until end of player's turn, I usually encourage the players to keep track of them and remind me. Delegate the responsibility of keeping track of everything around the table.

Oh, and the plastic rings around soda bottle caps make excellent condition trackers. The beauty of it is that it's usually free (though non-gaming friends look at me strangely when I ask for them), and different brands use different colored caps (mountain dew pink is strangely hard to get). Lots of coke red around for bloodied tokens.

Arbanax

First Post
Great stuff everyone thank you so much for the pointers and helps. If anyone else is reading this please feel free to chip in.

Ab

Festivus

First Post
HI everyone,

I've got a few questions about restarting in 4e. Basic background bought into 4e played a bit online with mr Nerdy Tenor and some other fine folk, but have now found a group of players in my area (thanks to EN world no less).

Anyway they've played one or two 4e games early on, as have I. I have the three 'original 4e core books' but am aware that so much seems to have changed or been improved in the two years since. One other thing cost is an issue, I don't have much disposable income and If I use a laptop its not likely to be internet connected.

So firstly I want to bring myself up to speed, yes I can read the errata, but is there anything else I need to read?

Second, is there condition markers or other stuff to use with tokens - preferably free to print out.

Third adventure, I started with H1 keep of the Shadowfell which by and large seems to be pretty rubbish. Are there any better starting adventures or adventure paths you'd recommend?

fourth is there a good way to track initiative and other bits of paperwork? As I said earlier I might be able to use an old laptop, but are there some good paper alternatives.

ok I might not have thought of everything but that will do for starters. Thanks.

Ab

If income is limited and you want a good bang for the buck, spring for one month of DDI, download the Character Builder and Monster Builder. That will give you all the options in electronic form.

1) Rules updates + your original PHB and you should be pretty much good to go (except some of the stuff covered in PHB2 & 3 might not be as clear. If you can, buy those two books.

2) Pipe cleaners for marks if you must... for ongoing conditions on players I hand them an index card with what that condition is, and ask them to hand it back when they make the save.

3) Slaying Stone is good and inexpensive. There are a few free ones out there too, and then there is the LFR adventures, over 100 of them. Some are dogs but others play pretty good... best of all.. they are all free.

4) Tracking initiative... good old index cards if you have them, or excel on your laptop. There are some free initiative trackers out there too.

Arbanax

First Post
3) There are a few free ones out there too, and then there is the LFR adventures, over 100 of them. Some are dogs but others play pretty good... best of all.. they are all free.

Great suggestions mate, but what is LFR adventures and which ones would you recommend?

Ab

Remove ads