• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Returning to Microsoft from Mozilla

I've given Mozilla Firebird and Thunderbird a try. I really have. The trouble is, they're doing stuff that annoys me, and I can't figure out how to stop it. If I can't get these fixed, I'll have to go back to Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, and Outlook, respectively.

For instance, the web browser won't store my password to various forums I visit. Sure, when I go to the password entry screen, it automatically enters it for me. But when I visit here, for instance, I'm not logged on, even though I chose that option. Given the lags ENWorld has been experiencing, having to go through three or four screens to log in adds many minutes to the experience.

The news reader is annoying me because I can't seem to limit visible posts to unread posts in their threads. I can get unread posts only, but then they're all jumbled together. I can get unread posts in their threads, but then it shows the whole thread. It also expands one thread completely, taking up half the screen, so I have to scroll to find the "compress thread" spot.

The mail reader part doesn't do too bad. But I may want to move it to the background, just to get everything Microsoft again...

Anyway, can any of you gurus out there help me?

Psionicist

Explorer
Heretic Apostate said:
For instance, the web browser won't store my password to various forums I visit. Sure, when I go to the password entry screen, it automatically enters it for me. But when I visit here, for instance, I'm not logged on, even though I chose that option. Given the lags ENWorld has been experiencing, having to go through three or four screens to log in adds many minutes to the experience.

Use cookies instead of the built-in password manager

Heretic Apostate said:
The news reader is annoying me because I can't seem to limit visible posts to unread posts in their threads. I can get unread posts only, but then they're all jumbled together. I can get unread posts in their threads, but then it shows the whole thread. It also expands one thread completely, taking up half the screen, so I have to scroll to find the "compress thread" spot.

I would advise you to use a dedicated newsreader such as Forte Agent. Does the job much better.

Psionicist said:
Use cookies instead of the built-in password manager

Okay, I've gone into Tools | Options | Privacy. I kept stored passwords, but changed cookies so that the option "For current session only" is unchecked. Is that what you meant?

Psionicist said:
I would advise you to use a dedicated newsreader such as Forte Agent. Does the job much better.

I've got Agent 1.5 and Eudora Pro 4.1. Are those good programs? I'm sure they're quite dated by now...

ptrpete

First Post
Heretic Apostate said:
For instance, the web browser won't store my password to various forums I visit. Sure, when I go to the password entry screen, it automatically enters it for me. But when I visit here, for instance, I'm not logged on, even though I chose that option.

I'm using Mozilla Firebird ATM, and also found that I was being logged out constantly. One trick that works is to bookmark the page after you have logged in, and use that bookmark. I have no idea why this should make a difference, but it has worked for me.

Stormfalcon

First Post
One thing to keep in mind is that both Firebird and Thunderbird are betas. They are not final product at all, and will certainly have bugs (such as problems with keeping track of usernames & passwords). Essentially, when you download either one or both, you're volunteering to be a beta tester.

If you want a stable product instead, go with Mozilla 1.4. It's a final product, not a beta. The only drawback is that the mail client and other stuff is built-in, contributing to the bloat (as if IE was any better).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads