• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Revenance + Revivify

Wrathamon

Adventurer
Artoomis said:
Quite right - my mistake. So the cost is a 1,000 GP diamond (how many of those will the party be carrying?)

This has been a big issue in the campaign I am in... I can never find any diamonds to cast any of these spells - Restoration for example.

I think most games seem to just ignore the material components when people start talking about this stuff.

how many 1000s of gp diamonds are you carrying around?

Diirk

First Post
Artoomis said:
At higher levels a 5th level slot may merely be kept open to be filled during the 15(+) minutes of Revenance, lowering this opportunity cost somewhat.

15 minutes? Thats a level 30 Paladin, or one that took sudden extend (or a metamagic extend rod). Possible, but slightly unlikely.

And yeah, archivists... but then you still need to find a scroll of it somewhere, and I can't imagine a lot of paladins take scribe scroll.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Diirk said:
15 minutes? Thats a level 30 Paladin, or one that took sudden extend (or a metamagic extend rod). Possible, but slightly unlikely.

And yeah, archivists... but then you still need to find a scroll of it somewhere, and I can't imagine a lot of paladins take scribe scroll.
Doesn't matter--you can scribe the scroll with your Archivist and just hire the Paladin to show up to provide the spell prereq.

Fedifensor

Explorer
Diirk said:

Or a Silver Pyromancer from Eberron (character level 17, caster level 15) who took Revenance from the Paladin spell list...

Darren Ravenshaw

First Post
Diirk said:

Except that Revenance is also a Cleric spell(As well as Bard and Blackguard in addition to Paladin) so any Cleric can scribe a scroll of it.

Or being that it is a 4th level Cleric spell could even make a wand of it, thus allowing the Cleric, Paladin, Bard, or anyone with a decent UMD bonus can use.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Darren Ravenshaw said:
Except that Revenance is also a Cleric spell(As well as Bard and Blackguard in addition to Paladin) so any Cleric can scribe a scroll of it.

Or being that it is a 4th level Cleric spell could even make a wand of it, thus allowing the Cleric, Paladin, Bard, or anyone with a decent UMD bonus can use.
The wand is the really scary one--just imagine, the poor enemy kills the darned Fighter 50 times only to have to deal with Revenance from the Wand, time and again. The low caster level is insignificant--7 minutes isn't the real consideration: How long it takes for the Fighter to die again is ;)

borc killer

First Post
Wrathamon said:

A 1000gp diamond is just as rare as any other 1000gp gem. Does your DM just say "Nope they just have emeralds and rubies today"?

Diamonds are fare from rare on Earth so I don’t see any reason why they would be any rarer in a world with magic and dwarves. Not to mention the endless amount of gems in the elemental plane of earth.

If you have a 1000gp and you are in a town in which you can buy items that are over a 1000gp you should be able to buy diamonds. If not then your DM is being a real hard arse… which is not what I want to be, just fare.

Artoomis

First Post
borc killer said:
A 1000gp diamond is just as rare as any other 1000gp gem. Does your DM just say "Nope they just have emeralds and rubies today"?

Diamonds are fare from rare on Earth so I don’t see any reason why they would be any rarer in a world with magic and dwarves. Not to mention the endless amount of gems in the elemental plane of earth.

If you have a 1000gp and you are in a town in which you can buy items that are over a 1000gp you should be able to buy diamonds. If not then your DM is being a real hard arse… which is not what I want to be, just fare.

If a DM has problems with this combo, the easiest way to control it is to control access to diamonds.

However, given the immediate nature of Revivify, having to ALWAYS tie up some treasure in 1,000 gp diamonds to be able to pull off this combo is a significant cost.

Sure, it gets less significant as you get to higher and higher levels, but so does ordinary death.

Last edited:

seans23

First Post
Wrathamon said:

My Cleric 15/Contemplative 2 currently carries 7800gp of diamond dust. It used to be 12800, but I wrote a scroll of raise dead recently.

It's needed for so many spells it seems silly not to carry it. Whenever there are diamonds in the loot, I claim them.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
borc killer said:

First you need a town that has gems... not that hard but in a lot of campaigns you are in a dungeon or out in the wilderness and if you run out then your are out of luck.

I am not saying they are rare... I just have never run across a 1000gp diamond in any adventure I have been playing in... in the last 10 years. Only in big cities.

So it really depends on where your campaign is based and the player access to big cities.

For example, I am playing in Castle Ravenloft... I have both of these spells on my spell list (archivist) I can never cast it cause I dont have any diamond dust...

so in that campaign it isnt game breaking that I have both of these spells... since I will most likely only be able to do it once the entire campaign.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads