Review DCC 53: Sellswords of Punjar

Crothian

First Post
Define introductory, it is a level 1 adventure.

First level module does not mean introductory. An introductory module is one made for people new to the system and possible new to gaming. Goodman Games has many first level modules, none of them I would call introductory. KotS is an introductory module. Idylls of the Rat King (the first DCC and a first level module) is not.

Back to the review: Aside from the cover is there any difference between the way this module is done and the 3e modules were done?

guivre

First Post
First level module does not mean introductory. An introductory module is one made for people new to the system and possible new to gaming. Goodman Games has many first level modules, none of them I would call introductory. KotS is an introductory module. Idylls of the Rat King (the first DCC and a first level module) is not.

Back to the review: Aside from the cover is there any difference between the way this module is done and the 3e modules were done?

Then by that criteria and from the skimming I've done of my copies, none of the four 4e modules from GG are introductory.

I wouldn't necessarily avoid running them for a newbie-ish group but they're not specifically made to introduce new players to the game.

Crothian

First Post
Then by that criteria and from the skimming I've done of my copies, none of the four 4e modules from GG are introductory.

I wouldn't necessarily avoid running them for a newbie-ish group but they're not specifically made to introduce new players to the game.

I would have been suprised if GG did in introductory module. I imagine their audience is very familiar with D&D and dungeon crawls. :D

Rechan

Adventurer
Most of WotC’s stuff reads like a series of random encounters strung together for a delve event;
This really nails why I hate KotS, TL and, worst of all, the Pyramid of Random Encounters with Random Terrain.

I find these statements funny. Weren't 1e modules just "Here's a map, here's the encounters found in the map. Have fun"? And, aren't the DCC's supposed to be 1e in feel?

I for one like TT and PoS for their encounters. Not because I want to run the modules straight, but the encounters themselves are great to drop into an adventure.

But then, I've only ran one adventure even half as written, so maybe I've not got the credentials to comment about adventures.

guivre

First Post
I would have been suprised if GG did in introductory module. I imagine their audience is very familiar with D&D and dungeon crawls. :D

I should have noted that only Dragora's Dungeon specifically says, in essence, "not for noobs". At least I don't remember the others saying that, but they're at home and I'm not.

hexgrid

Explorer

I'll be running this on Saturday. Aside from the awesome battlemap and the 4e statblocks, it sticks very closely to the way previous DCC's have been presented.

Crothian

First Post
I'll be running this on Saturday. Aside from the awesome battlemap and the 4e statblocks, it sticks very closely to the way previous DCC's have been presented.

I think when these were announced GG said they would be more like second edition modules. That is what I am wondering. Will these feel like 2e, 4e or what?

Remove ads