Review DCC 53: Sellswords of Punjar

guivre

First Post
The art is definitely different, but tbh not in a good way. At least not for me. Had I not already had a good idea that the content would be great I wouldn't have bought them. At least not as quickly as I did.

IMO they didn't need to change it to differentiate it and there's a lot to be said for the aesthetic appeal of the older style.

Shroomy

Adventurer
I'm very interested in purchasing these adventures, but I'm wondering how they are integrated with content from the core books given that they were produced outside the GSL (and now that the GSL is in a state of flux).

Filcher

First Post
Never tried the spoiler tag before. Here goes:

Minis for Sellswords:

[sblock]
  • Otyugh
  • 3 fighter-rogue types
  • 1 bad-a$$ fighter type
  • 2 rat swarms
  • corpulent female tiefling warlock (good luck!)
  • 10 beggars/thieves
  • 1 master rogue type
  • 3 hobgolbins
  • 1 giant ape (large)
  • Dragonborn fighter type
  • 6 goblin archers
  • 2 gnoll slavers
  • eladrin mage
  • drow thief
  • 1 GIANT rat (large)
  • 2 skeletons
  • A "beggar-king" type mini
  • magical bat swarm
  • shadow dragon (large)
[/sblock]

I didn't use some the actual monster names since they are unique to the adventure, but you get the idea.

Last edited:

Filcher

First Post
I think when these were announced GG said they would be more like second edition modules. That is what I am wondering. Will these feel like 2e, 4e or what?

Felt like an old school module to my players ( = fun battles, some wicked traps that make the players gasp, some vile evil doers). I think the art is all that has changed from the original DCC model.

I find these statements funny. Weren't 1e modules just "Here's a map, here's the encounters found in the map. Have fun"? And, aren't the DCC's supposed to be 1e in feel?

I know you're right about some of the 1E adventures, but TSR also gave us the Slavers series, White Plum Mtn., Demon Pits of the Spider Queen, Raveloft .... I'd say all my classic favorites (and this is just my opinion) were 1/2 hack and slash, 1/2 cool exotic story.

Could this be scaled up easily? To say, 5th level?

I don't think it could go all the way to 5th easily. The combats would get too tight. 3rd, no poblem. But at 5th, you'd need to be rewriting too many of the bad guys.

Awesome stuff. Did you pick up their new nautical 4E adventure, too?

I did! That one is really cool actually. Hands down the MOST amazing handouts I have ever seen. Running it after we get through Sellswords this weekend.

Is this meant to be an introdcutory adventure? I didn't think it was and found it odd that you would only be comparing it to introductory adventures.

I guess so, but do you recall the red box Mentzer set with the Elmore cover? It had 2 intro adventures, and neither of them felt plotless, to me. (This could be nostalgia talking, though.)

I'm very interested in purchasing these adventures, but I'm wondering how they are integrated with content from the core books given that they were produced outside the GSL (and now that the GSL is in a state of flux).

I poured through the text but couldn't find anything that deviated from core content. I'm sure there must be something, but it didn't come up in play.

frankthedm

First Post
Never tried the spoiler tag before. Here goes:

Minis for Sellswords:

[sblock]
  • Otyugh
  • 3 fighter-rogue types
  • 1 bad-a$$ fighter type
  • 2 rat swarms
  • corpulent female tiefling warlock (good luck!)
  • 10 beggars/thieves
  • 1 master rogue type
  • 3 hobgolbins
  • 1 giant ape (large)
  • Dragonborn fighter type
  • 6 goblin archers
  • 2 gnoll slavers
  • eladrin mage
  • drow thief
  • 1 GIANT rat (large)
  • 2 skeletons
  • A "beggar-king" type mini
  • magical bat swarm
  • shadow dragon (large)
[/sblock]

I didn't use some the actual monster names since they are unique to the adventure, but you get the idea.
Thanks! [sblock=DCC 53 printable counter sheet of video game characters] img373.imageshack.us/img373/7235/sellswordscj4.png

Sprite rippers include: emonoya, CACM, bogleech, Ryan914 & rose_of_yoshki
[/sblock]

Remove ads