• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Review: Gaming Paper

Lord Xtheth

First Post
I just got my order of gaming paper in, and I thought I'd give a review.
The company was hasty in their delivery, it took 16 days from my order placement to get to my door. I was fortunate enough to order while they were giving away a non-large mini with every roll.
The paper itself is a little flimsy and easy to tear. This might have been by design, but my group hits the table, puts books on it, etc. so having the paper be a little stronger would have been nice. My remedy: I put a peice of sheet plastic over it (making for easy dry-erase) and giving an extra layer of protection.
The paper works good with dry erase on its own, but do not use water or anything to get the marker off because the liquid soaks right into the paper (though the marker still comes off fine).
One roll wasn't quite enough to cover my 4x6 table with a single try, I had to cut, fidget and tape the remainder needed. Having slightly wider rolls would be nice.
If you're considering buying gaming paper, I suggest getting 2 rolls

All in all what I got was definately worth the money ($4) and I reccomend it for anyone who doesn't have dungeon tiles or wants to dry-erase their dungeons onto their table.

On a scal of 1 (fumble) to 20 (crit), I give gaming paper an easy 18, which is a potential threat!

darjr

I crit!
I was thinking of using it to put a bunch of RPGA maps on it... then carry them around in a couple of tubes. That way I could run any on a moments notice.

Would they stand up to repeated use? I'd want to get maybe 10 or 20 uses out of each map.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The paper itself is a little flimsy and easy to tear. This might have been by design, but my group hits the table, puts books on it, etc. so having the paper be a little stronger would have been nice. My remedy: I put a peice of sheet plastic over it (making for easy dry-erase) and giving an extra layer of protection.

That surprises me. The company has YouTube videos of them walking on the paper, in shoes and on a table:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VTVK1HQgHw]YouTube - Gaming Paper demo #3[/ame]

and also throwing it off the roof:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPuBLBX4vlQ]YouTube - Gaming Paper demo #4[/ame]

And it never rips. It sure LOOKED strong to me.

The paper works good with dry erase on its own, but do not use water or anything to get the marker off because the liquid soaks right into the paper (though the marker still comes off fine).

Again, they have a video showing water on it, and ironing it dry, and it sure seemed to clean up good:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN2_LvsFRME]YouTube - Gaming Paper Demo #6[/ame]

Lord Xtheth

First Post
That surprises me. The company has YouTube videos of them walking on the paper, in shoes and on a table:

And it never rips. It sure LOOKED strong to me.

Again, they have a video showing water on it, and ironing it dry, and it sure seemed to clean up good:

... Well, maybe I'm just realy strong... or got one faulty roll? But I ripped it a little easy. It could just have been me that once. It does dry realy easy though (in about 5-10 mins with water, 2-3 un-wiped windex)

I have scraps left, I could do more testing. My first official play session with it is tonight, so it'll be put to the real test when the guys show up.

Lord Xtheth

First Post
I was thinking of using it to put a bunch of RPGA maps on it... then carry them around in a couple of tubes. That way I could run any on a moments notice.

Would they stand up to repeated use? I'd want to get maybe 10 or 20 uses out of each map.

Oh yeah, theres no marker smudge at all with just the paper. I just put the extra plastic coating for my messy/violent/stab-happy players.

I'm pretty sure it'll last a good long while on its own

Remove ads