• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Review of Prestige Classes

Nathan

First Post
Can anyone tell me if there is a website/a document/etc. where the various D&D-prestige classes are reviewed (e.g. with respect to power balance or playability)?

Psion

Adventurer
Nathan said:
Can anyone tell me if there is a website/a document/etc. where the various D&D-prestige classes are reviewed (e.g. with respect to power balance or playability)?

No, but that is a neat idea. There is one website that evaluates new user submission this way, but not existing classes.

hmmm. Perhaps some quick impressions:

Legend:
R = Rules Fidelity / Utilization / Contribution: The prestige classes use of the rules, or contriubtion of abilities that are usefule or well thought out

P = Playability: Balance, ability to attain the classes abilities in a reasonable time/effort

C = Concept: How cool it is! (Of course, this one is very subjective!)

1-5 scale.

Sword & Fist:
Cavalier 2.66 (R 3 P 2 C 3)
Devoted Defender 4.00 (R 4 P 4 C 4)
Drunken Master 2.33 (R 3 P 3 C 1)
Duelist 4.00 (R 4 P 4 C 4)
Fist of Hextor 3.33 (R 4 P 3 C 3)
Ghostwalker 4.33 (R 4 P 4 C 5)
Gladiator 3.33 (R 3 P 4 C 3)
Halfling Outrider 3.00 (R 3 P 4 C 2)
Knight Protector 3.33 (R 3 P 3 C 4)
Lasher 3.33 (R 4 P 3 C 3)
Master of Chains 3.00 (R 2 P 3 C 4)
Master Samurai 3.33 (R 4 P 4 C 2)
Ninja of the Crecent Moon* 3.33 (R 4 P 3 C 3)
Order of the Bow* 2.66 (R 3 P 2 C 3**)
Ravager 3.66 (R 4 P 3 C 4)
Tribal Protector 2.66 (R 3 P 3 C 2)
Red Avenger 3.00 (R 4 P 3 C 2)
Warmaster 3.00 (R 3 P 2 C 4)
Weapon Master 3.33 (R 4 P 2 C 4)

* - Errata version
** - Almost knocked this down to 2 because of cheesy flavor text!!!!

I can't do this all day, but there's a start!

Nathan

First Post
Wow! A quick reply and thank you very much for starting these reviews quite now!

Maybe, such reviews will once be part of EN World...

As a reviewer, I would also include a NPC---PC scale on which the Prestige Classes are measured. That's just because there are some very cool classes which nevertheless are not recommandable as PC classes because a PC is not any character, but an adventurer traveling with other adventurers.

Chacal

First Post
Re: Re: Review of Prestige Classes

Psion said:
There is one website that evaluates new user submission this way, but not existing classes.
Url ?
I can't do this all day, but there's a start!

And a good one !

We're all waiting for the other "classbooks" PrC to be reviewed, now :)

Chacal

Crothian

First Post
There are just so many prestige classes out there it would be very hard for one person to judge them all. Are there any inparticuliar or any book that you are more concerned with?

Nathan

First Post
Crothian said:
There are just so many prestige classes out there it would be very hard for one person to judge them all. Are there any inparticuliar or any book that you are more concerned with?

Of course, it is a very demanding taks for one person to judge all the prestige classes or even WotC's ones.

On the other hand, it should be possible to have a compiled list of all prestige classes at one site where the visitors themselves can vote for these classes and write their remarks.

In the moment I am interested in opinions on the True Necromancer and the Virtuoso. At least thinking about these classes were the reason why I wondered if such a PrC-comparing site exists.

jollyninja

First Post
perhaps a new board specifically dedicated to reviews? or would that go in one of the existing boards?

i mean, i've used some of Psion's (and others) reviews to guide me but sometimes i want a powergamer, supermunchkin, or other not so respected player domographic perspective or would simply like a few more opinions before i buy a book. i have to order them off the net for the most part and therefore have to be pretty sure that i will be able to use a book before i shell out the cash without looking at it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads