Reviews that didn't age well.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Oh my god I've watched a bit of Um, Actually (as you can imagine), but I haven't seen any of those yet, I'll have to keep a look out.
I need to look on the Dropout site if they have the shiny question categories tagged. I seem to recall Trapp saying in one episode that there was a way to see what happened in each episode via the website. Or maybe it's in a fan wiki.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You could argue their poor review of GoT has aged pretty well. I just took fans seven seasons to realize that the NYT critics had been right all along....
To be fair, I think we realized that in the 6th season(the last 2 seasons were unmitigated junk), and some time during the 5th season I strongly suspected it might end up being the case .

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
To be fair, I think we realized that in the 6th season(the last 2 seasons were unmitigated junk), and some time during the 5th season I strongly suspected it might end up being the case .
If it took you and ninjayeti multiple seasons (5 or 6) to start to agree with the NYT's review of GoT at season 1, I would argue you showed that the NYT was wrong. GoT was pretty impressive television. The fact that it declined at the end doesn't negate the enjoyment most of us received in the earlier seasons.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
If it took you and ninjayeti multiple seasons (5 or 6) to start to agree with the NYT's review of GoT at season 1, I would argue you showed that the NYT was wrong. GoT was pretty impressive television. The fact that it declined at the end doesn't negate the enjoyment most of us received in the earlier seasons.
Oh, it was amazing at the beginning. The last two seasons kinda sunk the whole show for me, though. Up through season 5 I wanted to buy the DvD/Blu-Ray as soon as the show ended. By season 6 I was iffy, because it hadn't ended yet and might get better. By season 7 I no longer wanted to own it or watch it ever again. I couldn't even muster up the desire to watch House of Dragons past the 4th or 5th episode.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Ultimately making it as predictable as an M. Night Shyamalan movie. I knew that if I liked a character, they were ultimately likely to die horribly. I just stopped watching some time in season 3.
Actually, a number of popular characters made it to the end. A minority to be sure, but it happened!

Last edited:

Exactly. Reviews apply to what exists, and unless they engage in prognostication, they don't typically "become right" later. Given the NYT didn't say "GoT is a rushed mess of a show incoherently trying to shove too many plot points in" (i.e. season 7/8), but rather "GoT, like all fantasy, is dumb nonsense strictly for teenage boys", there is no chance of it ever becoming right.

Sometimes film reviews you do get some reviews which better reflect future attitudes towards a film though - usually when a film that later becomes a cult movie is panned by the majority of critics, there'll be at least a few who "got it", even at the time, for example. It's a lot rarer with books which is why Queenan's review is so accidentally funny.

I can't see enough of Queenan's review to know if it's accurate or not, but I will admit that I find Good Omens to be one of the most over-rated novels I've ever read. It's not bad, per se. I just find it very average for the genre.
I actually largely agree with your view of Good Omens, but that is not the grounds on which Queenan is attacking it at all. Instead he's basically coming at it as being fundamentally unfunny and dumb, which I think, even seeing Good Omens is fairly mid, as I do, is not a good representation of how it's mid. Nor does he really engage with "overrated", because in 1990 it wasn't - he doesn't even note either authors' other works IIRC (or acknowledge them in any way!).

There's a bit of classic NYT Anglophobia (the NYT is easily the most consistently Anglophobic news source in the US, even Fox News is less aggressively so) in there as well, apparently that's been going on since the 1990s or 1980s, I had no idea.

Remove ads