Reviews that didn't age well.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I believe multiple members of U2 are now facing health issues.
I think only one of them. They just shot a video with all the original members. They are starting a residency at the Sphere in Las Vegas, but the drummer, Larry Mullen Jr, will not be joining that for "health recovery reasons." Hopefully that means he is expected to bounce back.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I think only one of them. They just shot a video with all the original members. They are starting a residency at the Sphere in Las Vegas, but the drummer, Larry Mullen Jr, will not be joining that for "health recovery reasons." Hopefully that means he is expected to bounce back.

Maybe not bounce, exactly, but surgery for issues with his neck, elbows, and knees. I don't have more details but probably issues associated with repetitive stress.

Bono is the one with significant historical health issues - glaucoma for decades and he apparently had open heart surgery for some kind of aortic issue.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I can forgive Ebert a lot due to his review of The Mummy aging extremely well (apart from his inexplicable praise for Congo):

"There is within me an unslaked hunger for preposterous adventure movies. ..."The Mummy" is a movie like that. There is hardly a thing I can say in its favor, except that I was cheered by nearly every minute of it. I cannot argue for the script, the direction, the acting or even the mummy, but I can say that I was not bored and sometimes I was unreasonably pleased. There is a little immaturity stuck away in the crannies of even the most judicious of us, and we should treasure it."

You should probably read all of Queenan's review before signing up to it. Do you, for example, think that Queen are a terrible band who should have been left forgotten in the 1970s?
He can be right about Good Omens but wrong about Queen. That said, Queen put out like 6 albums since 1980 and the world wouldn’t be that worse off w/o them. There’s a reason their regard was at a nadir when this review was written, a decade of mostly garbage preceding it. 70’s Queen, sure, awesome, and where they should have stayed.

GreyLord

Legend
I can forgive Ebert a lot due to his review of The Mummy aging extremely well (apart from his inexplicable praise for Congo):

"There is within me an unslaked hunger for preposterous adventure movies. ..."The Mummy" is a movie like that. There is hardly a thing I can say in its favor, except that I was cheered by nearly every minute of it. I cannot argue for the script, the direction, the acting or even the mummy, but I can say that I was not bored and sometimes I was unreasonably pleased. There is a little immaturity stuck away in the crannies of even the most judicious of us, and we should treasure it."

He gave it a thumbs up!

That's awesome.

I know at the time it seemed like so many wanted to rate it a little lower than audiences rated it.

I don't really like the professional reviews or professional reviewers for the most part. I haven't for the past 35 years. This is especially true for Video games.

Instead I turn to places that allow the general public to review the game (or movie). They tend to have reactions much more akin to an honest review of what is good or bad about that game. I think some reviewers get so jaded after playing so many games that sometimes they forget what attracts the fans to a game and what doesn't. Some reviewers can get dead on with my tastes, but most of the time they just strike a hit far into left field only for it to get them out (baseball term meaning an outfielder catches the ball).

With movies I find a lot of the popular movies get panned by critics, but many of the movies they praise are not well loved by audiences.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Did you folks live through a different 1980s than I did? Queen made many great contributions throughout the 1980s. Maybe people think they happened at some other time?

First, there was 1982's Hot Space, which included "Body Language" and their great collaboration with David Bowie, "Under Pressure."

1984 brought The Works, which had "Radio Ga-Ga" (a polarizing song, I know, but it was popular), "I Want to Break Free," "It's a Hard Life," and (one of my favorites) "Hammer to Fall."

In 1985, Queen gave a standout performance at Live Aid, arguably stealing the show.

Riding the wave after Live Aid, 1986 was peak Queen popularity, IMO. They contributed songs to the soundtrack for Highlander, released on their album A Kind of Magic that same year. It also included "One Vision" (from the Iron Eagle movie). I love all the tracks on this album, but standouts are "A Kind of Magic," "Princes of the Universe," and "Who Wants to Live Forever." They had a strong tour for this album.

Zardnaar

Legend
Did you folks live through a different 1980s than I did? Queen made many great contributions throughout the 1980s. Maybe people think they happened at some other time?

First, there was 1982's Hot Space, which included "Body Language" and their great collaboration with David Bowie, "Under Pressure."

1984 brought The Works, which had "Radio Ga-Ga" (a polarizing song, I know, but it was popular), "I Want to Break Free," "It's a Hard Life," and (one of my favorites) "Hammer to Fall."

In 1985, Queen gave a standout performance at Live Aid, arguably stealing the show.

Riding the wave after Live Aid, 1986 was peak Queen popularity, IMO. They contributed songs to the soundtrack for Highlander, released on their album A Kind of Magic that same year. It also included "One Vision" (from the Iron Eagle movie). I love all the tracks on this album, but standouts are "A Kind of Magic," "Princes of the Universe," and "Who Wants to Live Forever." They had a strong tour for this album.

Late 80s was what we were talking about. Contemporary reviews, sales and charts for Queen music were lower than It's a Kind of Magic.

Appetite for Destruction biggest selling debut ever 87, U2 was on fire as well.

Queen was still around I like those albums but they weren't the cutting edge of music at the time.

91 Grunge blew up.

87-91 they weren't all that basically. Hair metal was also a thing then, Metallica blew up as well.

MGibster

Legend
Appetite for Destruction biggest selling debut ever 87, U2 was on fire as well.

Queen was still around I like those albums but they weren't the cutting edge of music at the time.
I can verify that a lot of 7th graders in Texas were into Appetite for Destruction back in 1987 but I can't remember anyone listening to Queen at the time. Not counting the occasional "Another One Bites the Dust" at football games. I'm not embarrassed to say that it wasn't until Wayne's World that I started liking Queen, and it wasn't until another decades later that I started really listening to them. I would agree that a lot of their 80s stuff is pretty good. "I Want to Break Free" is a good song.

Zardnaar

Legend
I can verify that a lot of 7th graders in Texas were into Appetite for Destruction back in 1987 but I can't remember anyone listening to Queen at the time. Not counting the occasional "Another One Bites the Dust" at football games. I'm not embarrassed to say that it wasn't until Wayne's World that I started liking Queen, and it wasn't until another decades later that I started really listening to them. I would agree that a lot of their 80s stuff is pretty good. "I Want to Break Free" is a good song.

I got into tgen more in 90s. To young early 80s.

They were music your parents listened to. My older sister lijed things like U2, I liked GBR/Skid Row, pop music was euro dance stuff. Guys generally like hair metal and rock or metal.

They had their fans but weren't generally cracking the top 10 anymore. Looking at the charts for them 87-91 they weren't cracking the top 20 that often..

Remove ads