• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Revised GSL TODAY!

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
That is terrible advice.

Everyone please disregard it.

The revised GSL is a huge improvement and includes many of the changes and suggestions that I specifically, and I am sure others as well, have been calling for for a long time.

One of the biggest changes is the "opt out" clause which the old GSL didnt have. In other words, if they change something you are bound by it. Now, if they change something you can opt out. Can they still change things? Sure, but that is the nature of just about any license and it was the nature of the d20 license that we all used for many years.

Plus, think about this. As I told Scott--wouldnt it be cool if the first revsion was an expansion that allowed us to do more with more freedoms and more content? what would the naysayers say then? Shure, they "could" make it more restrictive, but look what they have done.

This is a big WIN for all involved.

Clark

*Shrug* See? I told ya not to take it as legal advice. :)

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
I have to question the "objectively" part. It would seem pretty standard, if being objective, to mention that the first two parts of your criticism of the license - that WotC can change it at any time or cancel it - are quite standard clauses for many such licenses, including the OGL and the licenses for most every videogame open to modding.

Like I said earlier though, I don't know anything about this area of law. Hence my many disclaimers, and Clark's pointing out the crappiness of my BUSINESS analysis. I just read the GSL, and on its face it says what I said it does. If they are standard clauses in these kinds of contracts, and you feel comfortable with them, then accept the GSL.

Clark is in the great position to analyze the contract as a lawyer and also as a businessperson in the field, to better determine the likelihood based on standard business practices of the negative possibilities written into the GSL becoming realities. He is going to sign the thing, so we know how he feels about the chances of those possibilities becoming realities. Not to defend lawyering too much, I know that's a losing cause, :) but a good lawyer points out every legal possibility to the business/client, and the client weighs the possibilities and risks v. rewards, as I said earlier, and determines a course of action. We're professional naysayers.

Last edited:

Darrin Drader

Explorer
I wish people would stop saying that like it is true. That is not true, no matter how many times people say it.

I for one appreciate the fact that it was as open as it was. Thanks to that, we have True20, C&C, Babylon 5 RPG, Conan, and many, many others. On the other hand making the OGL as open as it was allowed for the games I just mentioned, which did not require a person to own any WotC books to play them. If you can make a convincing argument on how that's good for WotC from a business standpoint then I'll agree with you that it wasn't too good.

Last edited:

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
I for one appreciate the fact that it was as open as it was. Thanks to that, we have True20, C&C, Babylon 5 RPG, Conan, and many, many others. On the other hand making the OGL as open as it was allowed for the games I just mentioned, which did not require a person to own any WotC books to play them. If you can make a good argument on how that's good for WotC from a business standpoint then I'll agree with you that it wasn't too good.

Perhaps it might be fair to say that at the time it was created it served everyone well, including WOTC. I don't know, I have no idea what the market was like back then. I mean, if WOTC would have stopped producing D&D without the OGL rejuvinating the market, then it was good. Again, I have no idea what the market was like.

To the extent that it created competitors for WOTC, then I on't know how good it is for WOTC. Expecially in a worsening economy, when there are only so many RPG dollars to go around, I don't see how it can be good for a company to have competing brands taking those dollars.

Thasmodious

First Post
Not to defend lawyering too much, I know that's a losing cause, :) but a good lawyer points out every legal possibility to the business/client, and the client weighs the possibilities and risks v. rewards, as I said earlier, and determines a course of action. We're professional naysayers.

Fair enough, sir. And no need to defend lawyering to me, I have nothing but respect for the profession.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I am glad it is out and that it is better.

Orcus basically says everything I could.

In otherwords,
Him man speak me happy face gold truffle perfumed horse litterbox face.
GSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSL
Cowboy-Group.jpg

GSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSLGSL

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
Scott- I know I said this on the phone a few weeks ago, but I wanted to reiterate it here; THANK YOU!

FDG's SOA will go out in tomorrow's mail.

Remove ads